Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may be April !st but this is no joke.
Installed the 12 Volt conversion parts yesterday which all went pretty well considering a few surprises. But the real problem came when I hit the starter. The button got hot and melted the wire (yellow in this case) from the solenoid to the start button. Fortunately I had not turned on the ignition or would have ruined the new alternator. Reread the schematic supplied with the parts and moved a few wires and now the starter is on as soon as I hook up the ground cable.
Is there something else to be done as a result of switching to negative ground, some wire I should have removed and missed? As always appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removed one wire suggested in the plans and now it starts but only runs while the started button is pushed. Seems I have had that situation on another vehicle, wish I could remembered what I did to fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GJot it all sorted out. I am incredibly stupid when it comes to electricity, if there aren't any sparks flying the battery must be dead. Had a couple wires hooked up incorrectly and had the battery cable and the starter cable on the wrong side of the solenoid. Got the 12 volts, great oil pressure and strong charge. Still have a couple of leaks which will eventually get attention but have to switch to the car project for now. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Without seeing your work all I could have suggested would have been to go back over your work with the wiring schematic that was provided. Sometimes we just need to step back, take a break, and go back to it with an open mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts