1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing where some of these Vintage tractor parts
places are offering an electronic tune up kit as an option, as well as the
original tune up kits. Usually the OEM kit is much cheaper than the
electronic one. I priced one, for one of my tractors, and I believe, with the part that fits in the distributor, new plugs, wires and cap, along with one of the hot coils, it was pushing it past 200 bucks. What I would like to know, is if anyone on here has changed their old points system out for one of these, and if it is worth it to do that, and does the benefits out weigh the price. I could probably buy at least 3 OEM kits for that, Maybe 4. Steiner has a video of them putting one of the kits in a JD 430, and following the video looked simple enough, Just wondering if the price is worth it after it is all said and done, vs an original tune up kit.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Normally when i get some new iron, thats the first thing i do replacing the points and condenser with electronic ignition. I've been told by some knowledgeable people that i believe that electronic ignitions fire hotter and are more dependable. I haven't had much luck getting points to last more than 2 or three months.

Reactions: R.J.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
I have never changed one out, but thought about and priced them for an 8N I owned years ago.
If it sat for any time I could plan on cleaning the points before I even tried to start it.
If I had kept it I would have changed it over to the electronic just because of that.
Changing everything would have been around $120 back then.
It would depend on the tractor and how one uses it. I've heard mostly good about them.
One fella from Cynthiana who restored a Ford 861 said he never got it to run right until he put an electronic on it.
But then it's a Trailer Queen and doesn't run like a working tractor.
I replace the plugs, points and condenser every four or five years. (400 to 600 hours)
When they get too worn to clean in the Fall maintenance.
Or if I start hearing something not right. (condenser usually cures it)
Rotor buttons and distributor caps generally last 20 years or so.
If I had problems starting or running very often. I would likely change to electronic.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
I have never had the urge to change ignition systems. I reckon the proof the worthiness of an electronic system would be determined by the tractor' s enhanced performance. I suspect some models of tractors would be better than others. My gas tractors are mostly gently used so I do not believe it would pay me to switch them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am going to order one and try it on one tractor to see if I like it. I am in the middle of putting a "grocery list" together, as to what I need, to get my Uncle's old John Deere M back in running condition, so this would be a good one to try it on. My Uncle's Son, is not in good health, at all, and I think it would raise his spirits to see the old tractor running again after 30 years of it sitting. No restore. no new paint. Just replacing everything it needs, to be in working order again. I am hoping it does not need any major engine work, but not sure at this point. One good thing it has going for it is that it sat in the barn in the dry all those years and was not outside. I do know everything that's rubber, Tires, hoses, belts, seat, battery cables, some wiring, all has dry rotted and will have to be replaced. I am already looking at a pretty good chunk of money just on a refurbish job, so why not put the kit on it.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I think I am going to order one and try it on one tractor to see if I like it. I am in the middle of putting a "grocery list" together, as to what I need, to get my Uncle's old John Deere M back in running condition, so this would be a good one to try it on. My Uncle's Son, is not in good health, at all, and I think it would raise his spirits to see the old tractor running again after 30 years of it sitting. No restore. no new paint. Just replacing everything it needs, to be in working order again. I am hoping it does not need any major engine work, but not sure at this point. One good thing it has going for it is that it sat in the barn in the dry all those years and was not outside. I do know everything that's rubber, Tires, hoses, belts, seat, battery cables, some wiring, all has dry rotted and will have to be replaced. I am already looking at a pretty good chunk of money just on a refurbish job, so why not put the kit on it.
RJ keep us updated on how that project is going!

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Hope it all works out well for you RJ. Old family tractors have etched character and memories into their dull paint and rough appearance. I will add over time I have changed all of my 6 volt tractors to 12 volt systems except for my JD 40s. Easier starting, better lights, and the price of 12 volt batteries compared to 6 volt batteries made sense to me.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
If your rich and you can afford to throw a hundred bucks away? Go for it. Yet if your concerned about parts not being available? For that same $100 (or what ever the cost is), you can buy alot of back up parts to keep on hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts