Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the seal located in the final drive housing under the transmission where the drive gear for the seeder and fertilize distributor is attached. I remember either watching or helping a neighbor change one many years ago. I am developing a pretty good leak there, and the side of the tire is getting a pretty good oily coating. Also, do any of yall know if this is a dealer seal only, or if it is available at other sources?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
All you will need is the number off of the seal. Napa can cross it, or you favorite supplier can. I dont think Ive ever changed one of those. Let me ask Rick tonight and see if its a big deal or not. Im thinking not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, I have bought lots of AG stuff from NAPA over the years. There's a big distribution warehouse within 10 miles of me too. I called last week about a valve cover gasket for the SA, and it was NLA. Surprised I was :!: :eek:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Thats strange!!!! They should be able to cross the seal though. Rode with the mechanic here yesterday to get some seals for the trucks, and all the counter guy did, and every other Napa Ive been to is to look at the seal number, cross it on the computer and pull the seals off the rack.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have bought seals from NAPA. Another good local source is Motion Industries. It was owned by NAPA and as far as I know, it still is. When I was rehabing my H several years ago, Motion Industries was my first choice for seals. The funny thing is that a guy at NAPA told me about MI when looking for one that they did not have. Seals were also less expensive at MI. You might want to check if there is a MI close by.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soundguy said:
you can also cross a seal generically with ID, OD and width.
You are right, but finding someone willing to measure one is getting harder all the time :!: :roll:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Sorry Jim, I havent had time to get out to my friends house, but Idont think its going to be a big deal to change the seal. Ill try and get out there the first of this week.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's ok John. We are all busy and this weather sure ain't helping. I saw a feller that has restored several Farmalls over the weekend and he said I would have to go to CIH for the seal. Someone he knew just replaced one in a 140, about $50 from the dealer.

I removed the sprocket and tightened the bolt in there a little. There was some play. I will see if that helps.
Also, I have tried with no success to get the full indicator plug out of the transmission. The tranny is leaking some too, and that might be the source of the problem. It might have too much oil in there. It is very clean like some has been recently added. I haven't had much success, and I worry about breaking it off. It is a small pipe plug and has been rounded a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts