Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scheduled for jury duty tomorrow. I made the phone call about an hour ago, and got the good word. For many years, it seemed both Mrs. Jim and myself were called almost immediately when our time came around again. I think a few cycles have skipped us over the last few years. I have never been seated on a jury. Several things that have happened to us over our lives often disqualify us. Don't know if that is good or bad, but Mrs. Jim ain't gonna get a day off from me tomorrow. :roll: :? :| :?: :cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did my jury duty several years ago. Now that I'm past 75, I can decline to serve under AZ law - which is exactly what I will do if called again.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
My bride has served on a jury a couple of times. I was notified once, a few days before my accident.
After I got home from the hospitals, I called and told them, like a lot of defendants, I don't have a leg to stand on. :roll:
I was told they needed written proof, so I sent a copy of the police report, and "blue tag parking permit" application, which was signed by a doctor.
The County Judge, Jimmie Lee, actually called me a few days later to say he had heard about my accident when it happened, and wish me well.
Also, that he took my name out of the pool permanently. ;) It was an election year, by the way. :p

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
One of the perks that came with my old job am on a permanent "Do Not Call List" Our Judges here in VA are appointed by Va Bar and approved by the General Assembly sorta like supreme ct. Good and bad I guess because you are stuck with them for life but they also don't have to worry about being liked. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
906 Posts
I worked for the city radio shop and worked on all the police and sheriff's car and base radios. When I got the call and showed up they said they didn't want me. I was heart broken, but went back to work. :lol: :lol: They haven't called me since.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've been sent notices many times, seated & served on 2 trials. Third time i was seated but was dismissed by the judge a few interviews later when in the course of conversation between the lawyers I said "yes I'd been on 2 other trials in this same court room & I see that the same hard benches are still being used & they are not comfortable".
Guess the judge didn't care for that comment after the next few jurors were seated. He is still the serving judge of that division of courts.

In the last few years they have built a new court & I haven't been in it.
Gotten letters from sheriff since then but It's never went any farther to be called.

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
I haved served on several juries. I found each one quite interesting and enjoyed the experience. I also enjoyed the time I got off work by serving. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of the two times I came close to serving, while in the jury boxed I was asked if I had ever been the victim of a crime. The yes answer disqualified me. Another time it involved a crime against Southern States. It was already known that I was a farmer, but after saying that I was doing business with SS, I was sent out, too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Got called about 3 weeks after I started trucking. I checked the spot about asking to be excused and wrote in my reason. I failed to see that they needed written proof from my company. I called the day before I was supposed to report to make sure that I had been excused and I would have to come down and fill out some more papers to be excused.

I just so happened to be in town but was pulling a 48 foot flatbed trailer and they don't have truck parking. I told them that and they didn't seem to care. I told them I'd be right there and they wanted to know what I was driving and I told them that I'd "make room" with truck. They asked if they could call me back and I agreed. A few minutes later they told me over the phone to not worry about coming in. They have me on the list now to not be called again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts