Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a local 2N the other day that has an extra lever coming out of the area of the transmission on the left side of the tractor. The tractor isn't running at the moment and the owner hasn't driven it in maybe 25 yrs so he doesn't remember what it does. Does this sound like a Sherman add on? From feel I am guessing it has three positions.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Probably a sherman. Was it a straight handle shifter or sort of a curved J handle? The curved J handles were usually combos and in very rare cases creppers. The straight handles were step ups or step downs. In most cases they are step ups with the step down a little harder to find.

KIrk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did a bit of work on the tractor today, the lever is curved with a threaded top for a knob. Took the distributor off, cleaned the points and reinstalled. Still won't fire but I only had 4.2 volts at the coil. I will put a jumper directly from the battery the next time to see if I can get it going and then deal with the switch and undersized wire going to the coil. The owner is quite willing to spend money so I will get him to bring up plugs, wires, switch and points. He already knew that he had to replace the fluids and both front tires to get it runable and then I suggested he use it for a while to loosen up everything else before he does any more mechanical work. This tractor also has a belt adapter on the pto that will have to come off and put in storage. Have not seen one of these before but I suppose they would mostly be kept out of sight in storage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts