Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Steve your wheelbarrow pics brought back memories. After my mom passed in 2011 we found family papers from her side of the family when settling her estate, some many decades old. She saved everything. For example, there were receipts from building materials bought in the 1950s when they built our house.

I had also acquired some mostly old documents from my dad's family over the years as well. Miss Joanne had a few papers from her family too.

Now Miss Joanne has been given the title of Family Historian by several cousins. She has organized 22, 3 ring binders, of papers. Most of her work is done during winter months, and she is not finished.

A couple of weeks ago she found a homemade Father's
Day card from my dad to his dad, my grandpa. They both grew up here. We were thrilled to have found such a treasure.

Resized_20200113_113158.jpg
Resized_20200113_113217.jpg

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Jim, my Mom saved everything also. When going thru her estate after she pass away, we found a ledger of all the things her and Dad bought, being in 1939 when they got married

·
Registered
323 Posts
I still have an old half barrel sealed canister in the attic, that my Grandmother saved many receipts, her and my Grandfather had collected. Me and my wife looked through them, and it was like looking through a life history of places and purchases. Many of the sale bills are from places of business that are long gone.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Miss Joanne's niece was given some family papers by a cousin found in his mom's home and began researching a tragic family auto accident from the early 1950s. Late last summer she sent Miss Joanne many news articles she found by searching the net from across the nation about the accident which was picked up and reported by the Associated Press.

In the 01/28/53 accident Miss Joanne's mom was killed. The articles contained grainy pics of the car in which Joanne's family was traveling. The report of how the accident occurred was wrong from what Joanne, 11 months old at the time, had always been told. The articles and pics brought some closure and renewed sadness for the family, but thankfulness that some survived. I will post a link if I can find one.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miss Joanne continues her family history sorting and cataloging papers and photos. Rainy days are good for that work. She came across these 2 photos today, and I remember the events surrounding one of them as if it happened yesterday.

1961 was the year Roger Maris hit 61 homeruns and broke Babe Ruth's record. Maris and a group of MLB sluggers appeared in late fall of that year at the Greensboro, NC minor league stadium for a Home Run Derby. There was a tv show in the late 1950s to early 1960s by that name and I remember watching it. It is on the net now. My dad and I were serious fans, and we went to the show. We had pickup games as kids, and I played little league, pony league, and in junior high.

After the homerun exebition fans could buy pics and the sluggers autographed them. Maris' faint real signature can be seen on a uniform leg.

The pic with the Cub was made right here in our front yard about 1955-57. My dad is in the seat with me and a cousin. Another cousin in on the back of the Cub. Today I can point to much larger standing trees in the background that still are here.

Resized_20200211_203427.jpg

Resized_20200211_203812.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looks like the family history is coming along nicely. Do you guys still have the little cub tractor?

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the family history is coming along nicely. Do you guys still have the little cub tractor?
No the Cub has been long gone. I was pretty young then and do not remember it. At some point my grandpa moved up to a Super A, which is what I remember. It was sold after his passing to settle his estate. He also had a Co-op E3 which was his big tractor. I have a friend who knows where it is. The owner knows we want it to come home if he decides to part with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts