Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member.....first post.

I recently acquired a 1957 Farmall 130. Allegedly the electrical system has been converted to 12V - I see a modern alternator and the ignition coil has a large ballast resistor, but I am unsure of the starter. It is a Delco Remy Model and serial numbers mostly obscured. Looks like 110*093 *2-7 The asterisks indicate digits not present or obscured beyond recovery. See photos below. I tried putting a slip of paper over the tag and rubbing with the side of a pencil, no gain.

After bring the tractor home it has been parked in the barn for two months and now will not start. The starter would not spin, just a wisp of smoke from the electrical connections. Ok, we have a high resistance in the circuit... checking wire connections, no problem found. Nothing I did helped so out it came.

On the bench (bottom of of overturned plastic barrel) I hook up 12V battery, no go. Wires just want to heat up. I removed the switch - inside looks unhealthy - ok, test the motor. I clamped Neg cable to housing, touched POS cable to copper pad: SPIN! Oh happy day! The motor spins nicely! We need a new switch. Piece of cake.

My question remains: How to determine if this is in fact a 12V starter, or is it an older 6V starter? That also leads to the next question: How much damage will be done to a 6V starter if it is connected to a 12V battery? I would expect it will run, though it will probably burn up rather quickly. Does anyone here have any experience with that? Any replies will be appreciated!

RayJ

Photos of the starter and close-up of the tag after removal and wash:

·
Super Moderator
8,043 Posts
Most likely it is a 6 volt starter. I have converted several 6 volt tractors to 12 volt systems and never changed to a 12volt starter. It will last a long time. I have some here that have been around for 20-30 years. If you are comfortable taking the starter apart, checking the brushes, cleaning and polishing the armature, and lubing the bushings it would be helpful since you have it off the tractor.

Reactions: RayJ

·
Administrator
4,087 Posts
Sounds like good advice.

Reactions: RayJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely it is a 6 volt starter. I have converted several 6 volt tractors to 12 volt systems and never changed to a 12volt starter. It will last a long time. I have some here that have been around for 20-30 years. If you are comfortable taking the starter apart, checking the brushes, cleaning and polishing the armature, and lubing the bushings it would be helpful since you have it off the tractor.
Hello Jim in NC:
Thank You, sir! This is very valuable information. I will keep the starter. It needs a switch and a drive unit, the gear teeth are all chewed on the engaging end. I havr both parts on order from "Yesterday's Tractors." I have an old Craftsman (Atlas) 12" lathe and the commutator service kit, including the mica undercutter attachment so servicing it should be like a walk in the park.

BTW: If you have an interest in machining metal (mills, lathes, etc.) I administrate web forum Machinistweb.com under the moniker "Mondo." Come have a look! it is easy to join, unpretentious and ad free.

Have a great day and stay safe!

RayJ

·
Super Moderator
8,043 Posts
Check the ring gear on the flywheel too since the starter gear is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the ring gear on the flywheel too since the starter gear is bad.
Already looked in.. the few ring gear teeth that are visible are nicked but unless there are some really bad ones I can't see without turning the crankshaft the ring gear will survive. I have seen lots of starter gear teeth like this over the years in small trucks and automobiles but I haven't had to replace a ring gear yet.

RayJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: The starter is 6 volt but as previously advised that's not a problem, it spins fine on a 12 volt battery. I don't use the tractor very often but when I want it to run it starts instantly, even after being parked for several weeks. This week it has been pulling a DR wagon to move dirt needed to modify the contour of the lawn adjacent to my driveway, 1 yard at a time. It's what I have.

RayJ

20200901_154917.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts