Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a ‘59 240 that was converted to 12v, but it had issues. The previous owner had it positive grounded still and could only start it by touching the solenoid contact to the copper starter contact. I don’t know if the coil is connected right or wrong but it starts, runs and charges the way it’s set up. So I reversed the battery polarity so it’s negative ground now and positive to the solenoid. The wire attached to the contact pad on the starter is connected to the other solenoid post. The solenoid is bolted to the starter and functions with the push of the starter button now.
The problem is when I try to start it the starter side of the solenoid arcs. Any idea what I’m missing

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
According to CNH partsbooks the 240 had a mechanical switch on the starter.
1595761704691.png
If you can get more insulation between the cable lug and the grounded case it might work.

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
If it is arcing to the starter case I suggest a couple of layers of innertube rubber between the solenoid and the starter case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the starter off and removed the contact bolt and cable. Everything inside the starter ohm’d good. I didn’t know if the start contact was supposed to touch the grounded case or not. It was so I made a pvc washer and put between the cable under the contact bolt. It’s not arcing anymore and the starter isn’t cranking. The starter side of the solenoid is getting 12v when the start button is pressed. Hope I didn’t fry the starter.
I’m wondering if the cable could be an issue. I know it’s making contact with the contact bolt but when I ohm it, it wasn’t consistently ohming out. Also, if I touched the solenoid to the cable to start it, it would just arc. It would only start if I touched the solenoid to the contact bolt even though it was bolted through the cable and touching the case.

I looked up the starter in my parts manual and it’s supposed to have a solenoid. The starter before mine (I think for a 200) has the contact starter, which I’m guessing this starter is for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts