Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is a build thread but not a complete rebuild. I’ve stared tearing into this 560 and thought it’d be an opportunity to add some content and share what I’m doing. This is not a show tractor but it is getting a much needed facelift. I posted pics in my intro thread but for continuity I’m going to post a couple here. This is what I’m starting with.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Seems to run good. Cold hearted and needs a new battery, at least a stronger one.

No brakes. Ordered new pads. The last owner thought that’s all it needed.

Steering has a bit of play. After investigating, it appears to be the inner tie rod ends that need replaced. I ordered new tie rods for both sides.

Seat is trashed. Ordered new seat cushions. Going to save a few bucks and repaint the old brackets. These appear to be the ones that came with the tractor.

Peripheral Output device Gadget Plastic Audio equipment

A little searching and I found an IH 2001 loader. It’s pretty darn rough too. Been sitting a couple years.

Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Plant Wood Grass Tree Trunk

Bought a set of Titan heavy duty clamp on bucket forks too. A necessity with all the branches I have to cut each spring and fall. They held up fine when we put them on the neighbor’s tractor and lifted my loader off the trailer and set them down on the concrete pad. It was heavy enough his tractor couldn’t quite tip the forks back past level. Forks themselves did great.

Road surface Asphalt Grass Gas Wood

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now, the exhaust on this thing is in bad shape. Someone at one point snapped a bolt off in the manifold so they couldn’t attach the exhaust pipe properly. It’s just sitting in the manifold hole. They welded a weight to the pipe to keep it from popping out of the hole. Then they welded tabs to the hood to hold the pipe semi upright.

Brown Wood Wall Paint Gas

If you’ll notice in the first pic, it’s leaning back toward the driver, well, that’s because it’s not attached.

The manifold itself is shot but not cracked so it can wait a little bit while everything else is being done. I’ve already shot the budget for now.

Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door Vehicle Automotive exterior

I did already order the muffler before I realized this all needed repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tore the sheet metal and fenders off the other day. She’s had 2 power washes and is still in need of another for all the spots I missed.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tractor Motor vehicle

I tested some oven cleaner on the bucket. It was rough. This is the before and after of 10 min with the oven cleaner. It took off rust and aftermarket white paint but not the factory red. Bought a couple gallons of white vinegar to neutralize the lye in the oven cleaner.

Wood Rectangle Grass Vehicle Plant

Two days ago, we prepared and painted the white parts of the tractor. Still waiting on parts so it’s onto other things. Couldn’t locate the right catalyst for the Case factory paint so the true factory white is being painted bright white. Used Magic Tractor paint. It’s what we had so it’s what it’s getting. The Red is also the same brand but it’s factory IH red color.

Wood Rectangle Outdoor bench Composite material Gas

Wood Water Road surface Composite material Asphalt

I also dropped the aftermarket 3-point off the tractor. I want it to stay black. I also moved the wheels out 6 inches.The fenders attach where the loader is supposed to attach so I moved the wheels out so I could just move the fenders out. Those will need new brackets made. The left is where the wheels were, the right is where they are now.

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Used a ratchet strap and a block of firewood to move the wheels.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I don’t have the correct brackets for the loader. I’m on the lookout for them now. What I have are the 706 front and rear brackets. The U-bolt for the axel is missing from it too.

Also last night, the first coat of red went on some sheet metal. Just the first coat but it’s progress. You can really tell the difference from the faded paint to the new paint. Wow what a difference!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Fender

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Asphalt

Should have the brakes, tie rods, seat and muffler delivered today. We’ll see how far I get.

·
Administrator
4,415 Posts
Gonna be a really nice looking tractor when you're done with your R&R (repair and repaint).
The loader will make a good very handy addition.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
You have a good start towards refurbishing the tractor. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the brakes and got them on one side at lunch. Got to go back and do the other. The brake pads didn't look like they needed replaced based on what I saw. Makes me think there is something else that is a problem. Possibly just needed an adjustment because I didn't see anything broke on the side I just did. I already have the one side changed so I will go ahead and do the other, make the adjustments and test them out a little bit later.

Also got the tie rods but those aren't going on until the tractor is painted. Got the muffler too. I may just hang on to it until I do the rest of the exhaust. UPS filled my drop box with the parts then threw the seat out in the driveway and pups got it. Want to talk about one ticked off individual. Someone is getting an butt chewing when they deliver the new one. If you are too damn lazy to knock on the door with a package, get another job.

Grass Groundcover Plant Box Lawn

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got the brakes torn apart on the other side and the springs were all broken. I took all the guts out of it. One brake was changed out but the other drum is empty until I get a new set of springs. The one I changed does work.

We did get the tabs that were welded to the hood removed. Going to take a bit of work to get it sanded out where it needs to be.

Brown Wood Material property Natural material Gas

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been a long week. Went in for an ear infection that I let fester for a couple weeks. Spent this week on antibiotics and steroids. We got back out there today. Accomplished some. Got the fenders cleaned up and a first coat on the inside.

Got the wheel weights power washed and they are standing up in the doorway awaiting their turn.

Biggest thing that got done is straightening out the lines in the hood. Neighbor is doing the actual painting. I told him I don’t care the rest of it looks like, just don’t screw up the hood. So he’s going out of his way to make it as nice as possible with what he has to work with.

That’s a lot of bondo… most of it is just floating the dings but that big spot in the lower right, it got hit with something at some point. Half of that bondo was already there.

Got the new springs for the brakes but I’ll wait until we move the tractor inside to paint it before I fix that other side.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tractor itself is now in the garage getting its final prep. She played hell getting it to stay running. A little combo of cold hearted and probably some water in the breather would be my guess. Had it sitting outside with a zip lock over it while we painted everything but the main tractor and is rained a lot this past week. Just had a brick over the exhaust manifold. probably got a fair bit of water in there too that no doubt would have back flowed when the valves opened. Once I got it to idle, it was fine.

Removed the distributor, wire harness, belts, hoses, tie rods and radiator. We are just going to paint the alternator and starter, they are starting to show some rust. There is a fair bit of cleaning yet to do in all the nooks and crannies. I need to order some new front tires. Guy painting it is on me to buy a chrome stack, lol. I told him it wasn't a race car but it would look good. We will see when its done.

I ended up buying a gallon of this for the back rims...

Tin Paint Tin can Cylinder Gas

We couldn't find just a silver paint. I am sure its on a ship somewhere off the Pacific coast. I got no idea how tough this stuff is but I have reservations. May need a clear over it to protect the paint from the elements.

·
Administrator
4,415 Posts
My opinion the Almiumum paint works well for the wheels, and fuel storage tanks, as well as barn roofs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My opinion the Almiumum paint works well for the wheels, and fuel storage tanks, as well as barn roofs.
That’s good to know. It won’t be plowing fields. Mostly brush, logs, plowing the drive and backfilling my shooting range. A little pasture mowing but nothing muddy. As long as it sticks, it’ll probably be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn’t bring myself to spend another $300 on hood emblems so I am trying my hand at restoring what I have. Definitely going to need a second coat. I’ll thin the next one out to hide brush marks.

Product Blue Hat Material property Plastic

There’s quite a bit of mineral spirits dried on there so they look like crap still. Aluminum was so tore up I painted them black to cover it up. Polishing wasn’t an option.
Black Wood Floor Red Line

Took several tries and about 4 hours to find a process that worked. Tried white, tried aluminum, nothing seemed to look right. Cleaned the paint off so many times I wore through the black in 2 spots. I’ll touch it up after the lettering is done and clear over the whole thing. Worst case is I’ll strip it down and try again.

·
Administrator
4,415 Posts
Looks good. (y) I never minded the "correct police" much.
I would be curious if your tractor started it's life as an L.P. or somehow wound up with the wrong badges.

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
You are making very nice progress!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be curious if your tractor started it's life as an L.P. or somehow wound up with the wrong badges.
I thought the same thing. The previous owner bought it 20 years ago after an overhaul so I have no idea, neither does he.

Also consider, its been through all this once before. It appears to have at least one extra layer of paint and the hood has been bondo'd before.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts