Antique Tractors Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got the old tie rods back on but the original nuts were destroyed getting them removed the first time. Had to double nut them because there’s no retainer pin hole in the tie rod threads. The originals were nylon nuts.

Sent the tie rods, seat and muffler back. Ordered a chrome exhaust pipe and awaiting a replacement seat. I’ll have to pull one of the tie rods and go into an implement dealer to get the right ones. The ones on it are worn but not worn to the point they are dangerous. It’s possible that part of the issue may be the holes are wallered out a little. If that’s the case with the new tie rods, I’ll have to order a few more front end parts.

Right front tire needs replaced. I found a couple at RK but I need to check the size against what’s on it. Forgot to do that this evening.

The emblems didn’t turn out terrible but definitely not a pro job. Off you’re looking that close that you can tell, you’re standing too close to the tractor.

Wood Font Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Got the clear put on to cover some of my shotty work, walked by the chair and knocked the wet parts face down onto the floor. Not my proudest moment. I’ll give it a try to pop those larger dent out but ain’t making no promises.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thoughts on adding duals? I found an exact match to the set that are on it, tires and rims.

Guy wants $550 for the set. Figure if I’m ever going to do that, I’d better do it while we are painting. If I go duals, I have to go up about an inch with the fenders rather than out. Just a different bracket to make.

Also had to set the hood on to line up the exhaust hole. Preview..

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Exhaust parts didn’t fit and the exhaust stack they sent was the chrome I ordered. Both had to go back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What are you gonna use the tractor for?
In order of most use…

Mowing pasture (sickle and flail)
baling (rounds and square)
logging and moving brush
manure removal
backfilling the shooting range
plowing snow
box blading the drive and spreading rock
Post hole digging

At some point, I’ll be moving in a handful of 20’ shipping containers for extra dry storage, small workshops etc. I’ll me man handling those with this tractor as well.

It’s going to be doing everything you’d imagine a tractor doing on a ranch. Some things like dragging logs, moving big bales and moving shipping containers it makes sense for the extra footprint and weight. Things like mowing, post hole digging and plowing snow it doesn’t. I’ve got 600lbs of wheel weights on it.

·
Administrator
4,412 Posts
I've done all those tasks (Other than dragging metal boxes )with a 60h.p. tractor with single rear wheels and no ballast.
600# of wheel weights should counterbalance the front loader and give plenty of traction.
Generally dual wheels come in handy when pulling a large disc or planter type equipment through already loosened ground. Where just ballast won't give the traction needed. The only time I have run out of traction and needed ballast is pulling a disc once the ground gets loose about six inches deep, and a couple hundred pounds was enough to remedy that. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
In addition to what Dave says, the wider stance of the tractor will make it impossible or harder to maneuver in, out, and around tight places with duals.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh what fun today. It’s been a few days since I had an update. Preparing wheels for paint and the tractor itself for the second coat.

Ordered a new front tire because one had to be replaced. It arrived today. Was hoping to get it changed but no dice. I don’t know how long it’s been on there but I ended up resting the axle on the tire with the weight of the tractor on it and I couldn’t get the bead to break. That was a last resort after an hour of beating and prying on it. Taking it in to the tire shop in the morning. Maybe the hydraulic bread breaker can do it.

Rear hubs and front wheels (except the one I have to take in) are ready to paint the red. Then we’ll mask that off and aluminum paint the rear rims in a couple days. It’s 3am on a Friday night. I’m spent.

New seat ordered. Maybe this time the delivery driver will be smart enough not to throw it out at the end of the driveway like a dumbass. This one has more white to it. It’s more expensive but I like it.
Rectangle Chair Peripheral Comfort Font

I gave it some thought today. I believe there to be enough room on the back side of the hub to move the wheel weights to the inside of the wheel. They would be completely hidden then. It would require me to remove the back wheels to mount them and remove them again to pull the weights off but I can’t think of a reason I’d ever want to remove the weights. Can any of you think of a reason to remove them? I’d only do this because I like the look of the farmall mag wheels. The weights kind of hide them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They got it changed. He said it was stuck on there pretty good. The tire is just a hair wider by like 1/8” so there is touching in one spot against the tie rod end. I’m not terribly concerned because I still have to change the tie rods once I know which ones go on it.

Brakes on the other side were put in so now it has brakes on both sides. Second coat of paint was applied. First coat on the wheels. Sorry the pic isn’t great. Lighting sucks in there.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Quite a bit of overspray all over this time. Not sure what he did differently other than thin the paint but it looks like a lot of work to correct it. We will see.

Also leveled the suspension box for the seat. It was bent all to hell as was the frame of the actual seat. Almost looks like something heavy landed on it.

Original pics…

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system

They also had a 2x6 in between the suspension box and the pedestal. Not sure if that was a byproduct of whatever happened to the seat or if they just wanted more height. The 2x6 is now gone.

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
Those stuck, seized, and rusty parts can make people say words that they never knew existed. You are getting there!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I may need to look into another shock for the seat suspension. Doesn’t seem to want to return after compression. I have it adjusted high so it doesn’t move much. After all the painting is done, I’ll try lubing up the joints inside and work it for a bit and see if it loosens up and returns fully. I won’t know if a spacer between the pedestal and seat suspension box is needed until I’ve installed the seat. With the 2x gone, it sits 1-1/2” lowered so the it has to sit back a little further than it was so it clears the hatch door in the back of the pedestal. If it does, I’ll grab a piece of C-channel and drill some holes to use as a spacer. You can’t see what I’m talking about in those pics. I’ll try to grab a couple this afternoon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Well, we got most of it back together. Got the new ignition switch put in. Started the wiring but decided to paint the coil and alternator black so the wiring isn’t done.

Here is the pic of the front side of the seat pedestal. I meant to get the back side but you can see from this pic how much higher it’s sitting than the previous pics. That adjustment knob sticking out the side was previously hidden up inside.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Machine

Also looks like we missed a couple spots. That seat suspension was sitting outside until last night so it didn’t really have much in the way of prep work. Last min decision to use it instead of replacing it. It’s going to need a good washing inside. We brushed, sanded and wiped down all the visibly exposed areas.

He’s going to buff and touch up where needed. He’s also got to hit the wheels one more time before we can tape them off for the silver on the rims. going to have to use a touch up gun to get the outside edge of the wheels because of limited space.

Automotive lighting Hood Liquid Automotive design Motor vehicle

I would love to have had photos but my phone died 2 hours before we got the last of the hood on. It actually looks like a tractor again. Still a few days of work left. Paint the rims, paint the wheels again, finish wiring, put the belts and hoses back on. Replace the oil pan gasket. Drain and refill all the fluids. Buff out the over spray.

Still need to order an exhaust pipe. Been dragging my feet there. The manifold needs replaced but it’s not cracked so I can probably get by a few more years if needed. I am dreading trying to remove the manifold bolts. I am afraid they might snap off, then I’ll have a real problem. Polished stainless muffler is ~$170. 2’ stainless straight pipe is ~$30. Decisions… decisions…

Next issue will be the fenders, which I can’t do until the loader is ready. That’s going to be another week or two away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
A little bit closer. A whole lot of red overspray that has to be buffed out of the hood and white panels. Couple white panels are almost pink. Probably should have protected them better. Nothing that can’t be fixed.

Wheel Tire Tractor Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tractor Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Wheel Mode of transport

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Seat and muffler still aren’t here yet.

·
Administrator
4,412 Posts
Lookin' Good !!! (y)
One thing comes to mind. What really helps keep leaves and debris out of the radiator is fastening screen wire on the inside of the nose piece.

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
I like it! 👍

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Waiting on the clamps to hold everything in place but I got the muffler in. It’s just sitting on the pipe. Also got the new air pre-cleaner globe put on.

Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Still not done but it’s a far cry from this
Tire Vehicle Wheel Tractor Motor vehicle

21 - 38 of 38 Posts