Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am gonna be buying a Farmall A soon and I had one question, I know the Farmall's have the petcocks to check the oil, but this A i was looking at (i put a down payment on it) happened to be converted to dipstick. Could this potentially damage the engine? Someone told me to watch out that it doesn't catch or hit the piston or whatever is that true?

·
Administrator
4,357 Posts
If it looks brand new I might have a concern, and I can see how someone might.
If it's been on the tractor for some time I would think it's good to go with no worries.
I haven't heard anyone saying that it interfered with anything in the engine.
I have heard some folks say the full mark is not accurate and some say it is.
Just find where the proper amount of oil brings the level on your dipstick and enjoy our tractor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it looks brand new I might have a concern, and I can see how someone might.
If it's been on the tractor for some time I would think it's good to go with no worries.
I haven't heard anyone saying that it interfered with anything in the engine.
I have heard some folks say the full mark is not accurate and some say it is.
Just find where the proper amount of oil brings the level on your dipstick and enjoy our tractor.
It was some what dark in the room but, it does looks pretty old or has been there a while. I'd say its an accurate measurement because its threaded not pull out like most dipsticks. Thank you for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
8,538 Posts
I would check with the petcock to get the proper full level, then pull out the dipstick and make a mark on it where the full level is.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
It won't do any harm ,it obviously has been put in place by an engineer, it's something that just doesn't happen. It's obviously a late model block. far more convenient than the petcocks

·
Super Moderator
8,538 Posts
Didn't dipsticks not show up until the Super A1, with a 123 engine? Red Kiwi you may be on to something.

·
Administrator
4,357 Posts
Steiner's among others sell "conversion kits" for old Farmalls and Deeres.
I can't see much improvement since one has to unscrew it then pull it out rather than just turn it.
Thing is it gives one the visual indication that they are more accustom with and how much oil needs added.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steiner's among others sell "conversion kits" for old Farmalls and Deeres.
I can't see much improvement since one has to unscrew it then pull it out rather than just turn it.
Thing is it gives one the visual indication that they are more accustom with and how much oil needs added.
View attachment 22332
This eases my worries thanks. Once I get a the tractor next week I will put a picture up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It won't do any harm ,it obviously has been put in place by an engineer, it's something that just doesn't happen. It's obviously a late model block. far more convenient than the petcocks
The tractor is a 46, I'm not sure if the block is a different year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts