Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is nearing the end of its life. These pics may be the last ones I take of it. I took them about 10 days ago when finishing the hay in the pasture. We did a final clean out during the 2019-2020 winter. Back in the early 80s, one internal supporting post began to sink. It was usually muddy at that spot. I don't know if the post rotted or the ground was just that soft. My dad, with failing health, and I added 2 or 3 more posts, tried to jack up the beam they supported, but it was a patchwork job at best. A bit later I dug down at that spot, poured several bags of concrete mix to make a pad for another post, but I think it had gone too far. The beam cracked and bowed downward, but never broke. One long wall at the rafter plate seemed to be pushing away so I added a come-along and a log chain across the inside of the barn from one wall to the other. It was used for small square bale storage for a other 35 years. The tax records on the house date it to the early 1900s. We traced the property back to being in our family since the 1840s. I am going to search for a pic or two that shows it in its better days.

22204
22205
22206
22207
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
It's sad when a barn gets near the end of it's life. In my case the flooding of 1993 took care of a lot of those old barns.The levee was 40 foot tall and broke on its South end and flowed savagely North. It took ou machine sheds and knocked the round grain bins off their concrete pads. This was in Southeast Missouri along the Mississippi River
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
My old barn was not that far gone but the posts were rotted off. It was a 4 bent barn with a wood floor, set on big rocks. I removed the old floor, jacked the barn up, poured a 3' tall stem wall and put a treated sill on top. Cut the posts to height and set down on new sill. This gave me more head room and made posts long enough without adding length, also allowed me to trim the rot off the original Douglas Fir board and batten siding. I removed the south bent, the weather end, to have enough material, especially siding, to rebuild what was left. The barn is now 3-8' bays long and 20' wide. Loft floor is 16'x20' with an apartment on 2nd floor. 2 garage doors on front of first floor. 1 side is my wood shop 10'x24' other side is a garage/shop, same size, partition separates them. Almost all original wood, posts, siding, rafters, floor joists and loft flooring. First floor is concrete. Original red cedar shingle roof was removed, still has most of the 1"x6" original skip sheathing, filled in with old loft flooring we removed from rebuild of barn, put down tar paper and put a galvanized metal roof on it. I studded up the walls, up stairs and down and sheathed the inside with plywood for shear strength, up stairs is vertical pine paneling. The barn was built into the hillside and had a "bridge" to the 2nd floor that was all rotted out years ago. The hillside allowed the rain to run under the floor so I had to dig out and slope all around to get water to run off properly. Built a walk out 2nd story deck to the new apartment entry door, no steps needed. We used it as a get-away to fish the pond and property has other storage buildings for my toys. 4 acres of my original farmstead. Daughters step son is living there, maintaining the property and fishing....James
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top