1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
please see the short youtube-video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtqIU9C8-E
Its a 1936 light artillery tractor, probably the Italians remembered the difficulties they had in WW1 hauling cannons ontop of the alps by means of horse- and manpower.
It was designed by a company called Officine Costruzioni Industriali (OCI) in Modena for the Fiat company in Torino. It was derived from an agricultural chain track tractor named 700 C.
It is powered by a 4cyl-4stroke sidevalve motor, magneto ignition, vertical upstream carburettor with 2 and 1/2 liters displacement, 30 hp, a 4 / 1 gearbox .
Steering is done by means of a steering wheel, agitating two sets of clutches and breaks, one of each for either chain.
It weighs in about 2,5 tonnes, maximum speed is 10 mph.
It has 7 road wheels on either side, 6 of them sprung and equalized in downforce via rocker arms
Due to the fine links of the chains - compared to "normal" agricultural crawlers - it has incredible traction on almost every type of terrain especially on rock.
It is only 1.25 meters wide, 3 meters long and 1,4 meters high at the steering wheel.
More questions? Please ask!
Best regards
Wolfgang, from Austria (no kangaroos there :D )

Reactions: kent

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi Wolfgang from the land where there are Kangaroos.
Your tractor looks well restored .A credit to you . Thank you for sharing the video of it .

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
Hello Wolfgang, it's good to hear from you again, and with a unique piece of equipment to show. ;)
It looks good. Was it restored when you found it, or did you do it ?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
That's a neat piece of equipment. I like the setup on the tracks and can see were the traction would be good. Watched the video a couple of times and didn't notice till the second time that it drives with front sprockets. Never seen that configuration before. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Looks like a well made tractor. I sure like the quote You have on the bottom line. That covers a whole bunch of us. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>>>Was it restored when you found it<<<

The answer is yes, but it is only a part of the story:

(Skip this if you dont have much time!)

In 1978, while trundling along to a bathing pond with my bike, I saw something lurking beneath some shrubbery looking like a Lindner Tractor.
Some days later I went there again and found out that "it" was a Fiat crawler. I took some pictures and asked the owner...expectedly the answer was NO.
As I already had decided to be owner of this crawler (sometime..) I went to this place for the following 20 (!!) years, two or three times a year always asking if the Fiat was for sale and always seeing it deteriorating more and more.
In the late 90s finally I was allowed to buy this wreck.
In the meantime I had found out that its type was OCI 708 CM, a military descendant of Fiat 700 C.
Finally I started to dismantle the wreck and began to restore the suspension system (technical details and pics in the near future!)
Suddenly I saw in the internet a Fiat crawler like my wreck for sale in Spain, a mere 2.200 km away
I bought a ticket, flew to Madrid after work on Friday, took a Fiat (!) 500 rental at 10 PM and drove to Segovia. On saturday I negotiated the price and had some interesting discussions with the owner (not easy with my poor spanish!)
On Sunday I flew back, two weeks later the crawler arrived by truck.
In the meantime I had found out that there are 6 identic crawlers in Europe, only one in working order (see Youtube "Fiat 708 OCICM") and one in the USA (sold recently for 38.500,--$, and though it was never stated a non runner in my opinion. Originally it came from a collector in Portugal)
This year in August i saw an advert in a tiny Dutch website, that the only running Fiat would be for sale. I called the owner...
Two weeks later I borrowed a VW Touareg (may tow 3,5 tonnes) and a suitable trailer from a friend, and together with another friend off we went. First we had to ride 250 km to fetch the Touareg, then 1.000 km in one direction, short negotiations, loading and home we went another 1000 km, hasty unloading and back to the owner of the Touareg (250 km) and another 250 km home. All in all 3.000 km in two days. The Touareg gulped 10 Liters / 100 km (eqals 30 MPG roughly), not bad for a gross weight of about 5.200 kg
At home again I tried to start the beast: nothing! I checked the Magneto - bingo, no sparks. Fortunately I have a friend in Klagenfurt who is into Magnetos and after the second try (and cleaning the carb and some other things) finally it ran (and the video was shot)
Now I`m in the process of checking and changing all lubricants, replace all non functional grease nipples and and and.

No, I didnt have to restore it, but I did a lot af other work (and spent some quid of course) to finally own a running Fiat OCI 708 CM*

Best regards, and thanks for reading until here!

Wolfgang

*Fiat I wouldnt probably have to explain, OCI = Officine Costruzioni Industriali, a technical bureau in Modena (Italy) that collaborated with Fiat and is still in existence (I think), 708 = Type Number (I dont know about the systematics behind) C = cingolato (with chains) M = militare (is obvious me thinks)

W

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the (near?) future I will complete the running Fiat, will convert the spanish from non runner to runner, will use the wreck as a donor for parts, and then ???

Wolfgang

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
Great story, It's a shame it took so long to get the first one you found, but I can understand one's reluctance to part with something like that.
For a time hoping to fix and use it again one day, then finally realize that you'll never get to it, or finallhy lose interest in it.
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! :cool: owning three of the seven 708 CM tractors still known to exist. ( if I read your story right ;) )
Looking forward to seeing the photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two pictures of unidentified (as of yet) Fiat. I´m just trying to have them identified.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!
Here you have some pics of my triplet:

#1 fromGraz / Austria in "as found" conditon

The one from Spain

The one you saw in the video.

More to come
Wolfgang

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dear friends of rusty old iron,

(already) some weeks again I took part in an event in Viennas military historic Museum, located in the "Arsenal", named "Auf Raedern und Ketten" which means: on wheels an chain tracks.
See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfaxxCyr ... e=youtu.be

and please wait until the very end!
Most of the exhibits are owned by Austrian armed Forces, some are privately owned e.g. by Czech enthusiasts.
I was lucky to make contact with the boss of an Austrian Tank Training Unit. In the near future I will be allowed to drive an Austrian Tank on and (preferredly) off road for some hours on someone elses expenses!
Lucky me :)

Have fun and drive old tractors!

Wolfgang

·
Registered
270 Posts
My uncle served in WWI. He was drafted off the farm, so they gave him a job driving mules pulling a wagon to haul ammunition to the front - and hauling bodies back from the front. He had quite a few mules shot and his helmut had a bullet hole through the side that just missed his head, that sure got his attention, but he was not injured.

In basic training he deliberately missed some targets so he could avoid being put on the firing squad. However, one of the other draftees ratted him out as being an expert marksman who won most of the shooting contests in their home area - so he was put on the firing squad list, chosen to serve by random drawings. He could tell by the recoil if his rifle had the bullet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
Here you have some pics of my triplet:

#1 fromGraz / Austria in "as found" conditon

The one from Spain

The one you saw in the video.

More to come
Wolfgang
Hello Wolfgang,
I'm the owner of a Fiat 708 CM in France .I’m looking for mechanical parts to fix it. Coud you help me ?

Thanks

Serge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts