Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always enjoy getting the first ripe tomato from the garden. This year it's a nice big Golden Jubilee.

Since I already had dinner, I think a couple of BLT's will make a fine supper. ;)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I have Jet Star & Romas. Lot of green one none turning red yet

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve, I put out a couple each of Rutgers, Golden Jubilee, Better Boy, and Roma.
They all have plenty of fruit on them. I've got a few Rutgers turning "pink" that will be ready in a few days.
This hot dry weather coming in will make them start ripening quickly.

Thanks Brandon, I do too. :D There was another about half that size, and not quite ripe, but something bored into it and ate through the inside.
Too late to dust anymore if they are starting to ripen, and with the hot dry weather we are getting, I should be knee deep in 'maters in anout ten days.

·
Super Moderator
7,865 Posts
Showoff! Mouth is watering as I type this. I have gotten a few grape maters. I am watering our kitchen patch today. That's the only place I can water. Lots of green tomatoes on mine, but they are far from ripening.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim in NC said:
Ain't that part of what this site is about. Showin' off what your proud of. :cool:
If it wasn't for the extra warm Spring, I would still be several weeks away from any ripe 'maters.
These were planted Good Friday (April 6), which is a month ahead of normal here.
If we don't get any rain by the weekend, I'm gonna have to set up my pump to get water from the creek to the garden. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Big Dave we are watering ours now watered some last night and finishing up this morning. Was getting pretty dry.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
This growing year has been nothing like I have experienced in the few years I've been doing this... I was scared of setting mine out so early because of frost (where we don't live super close to the garden, covering wasn't an option for me) so my plants - while right on the mark for the regular season, are going to wind up being a late crop compared to others in the area. Very good call on taking advantage of the season where you could, it's already paying off. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,865 Posts
Like you Brandon, I resisted the urge to plant too early. My stuff has suffered from mostly cool and dry weather. We have been hot the last 2 days, but this is the first hot weather we have had in a long time. It adds to the drought stress as well. My stuff is later than normal also.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Dave
Picked my first ripe Jet Star today, With 2 more that will be ready Thursday or Friday. Sorry no pics, it did a disappearing act almost lmmediately. Guess it's just camera shy. :D

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good deal Steve, bet it was tasty. :D Ripe maters off the vine sure beat those
that are picked "pink", and almost get ripe in the boxes, on the way to the supermarket.
That Jubilee was nice and sweet on some BLT's for supper, and what was left over didn't make it back to the fridge. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts