Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my first shipment of seed has arrived for the 2013 season... have to say I'm excited. It gives me the illusion that spring is just around the corner (as I stare at my ice covered car outside :lol: )
It will also be a first for my family and I as we will be starting all of our own seed and transplanting as opposed to buying plants and/or direct seeding certain things,(we are doing this in preparation for farmer's market as hopefully it will give us a jump on the season and cut down on costs.) This is probably the most excited that I have been for the growing season since I first got in to it, and I hope it's the same for the rest of you.
This being said - what all do you all plan on planting/ordering for this year? I thought it might be neat to see what everybody prefers to grow, be it for market or home gardens. I'll start off with my list.

Beans (Jade, blue lake 274, 6-week bean heirloom, & Heirloom white half runner)
Cabbage (early flat dutch)
Assorted types of gourds (swan, lufa, bushel basket, long handle dipper, birdhouse, etc.)
Pumpkins (Autumn Gold F1 hybrid, wee-b-little, Casper, porcelain doll, big Max, Small Sugar, and a blue heirloom I've saved seed from.)
Corn (bi-color sweet, strawberry popcorn, and indian corn.) - I will be buying locally so the variety is uncertain at the moment.
Tomatoes (Better Boy, Mr. Stripey Heirloom, and Roma.)
Squash (butternut, yellow crookneck, and black beauty zuchinni.)
Assorted Herbs (I'm not sure what, that's more my wife's area - but she's good at it :D )
Onions (I plant cheap white "sets" for green onions and then candy onions from Dixondale Farms for the bulbs.)
Potatoes (Kennebec & Pontiac)
Cucumbers (Garden Sweet hybrid and homemade pickles)
Snap peas (Sugar Ann)
Peppers (Big Bertha bell and Sweet banana peppers)
Greens & lettuces such as kale, mustard, turnips (root & greens,) along with radishes and Kohlrabi.
Rutabagas & Tomatillos (market sales, these are new for me.)
I will also be growing some Ledmon Watermelons that I'm excited about as well as Japanese Running Okra that a friend sent us from down south :D (thanks Jimmy!) though those will be lucky if they make it to market :lol: as well as some type of cantaloupe that I've not decided on yet, with the recent scares and the fact that cantaloupe grown as essentially a giant sponge I wouldn't feel comfortable selling those at my stand, even though I'd feel comfortable with the product it wouldn't be worth the liability to me.

I have probably forgotten something but I think that's the better part if not all of it. So that being said - let's hear from everybody else! :D

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
OK Brandon, I'm hungry now. :eek:
My garden is pretty much the same every year, as over the years you know what does good and gets eaten, and what doesn't.
I plant:
Golden Jubilee, Better Boy, Rutgers, and Roma tomatoes
Peaches-n-cream, sweet corn (this replaced Early Golden, and Silver Queen a few years ago per my bride.)
KY Wonder green beans (Blue Lake have too strong of taste for us.)
Early Summer Crookneck and President zucchini squash
Kennebec and Red Pontiac potatoes
Cherry Belle and Icicle radishes
Danvers carrots
White and yellow Spanish onions
California Wonder bell peppers (they bare better than any I've tried)
Early Dutch roundhead cabbage
Sugar Baby watermelons
Ambrosia muskmelons
I also got some of those Ledmon watermelon, and Japanese Okra seeds to try this year, (Thanks Jim)
Not sure what else might wind up in the garden.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry Mike, I'm satisfied Dad will pull his share ;) And it will keep us busy, but the tractors certainly take some of the load off at least. The cultivators and hillers minimize mechanical hoeing on most plants. The best part of it all (the pears) doesn't even take any work until about September! We are lucky there, maybe you and Anne will find your way back to Kentucky next fall and you can again enjoy some of that part!

Dave, what do you think of the Better Boys? They seem (from what I've read and people I've talked to) to be a very hardy producing variety - hence why I went with them. The KY wonder beans are great too, I raised them one year and loved them. Sounds like you have got your work cut out for you too - but we all know that it's a good kind of work. My hats off to you for taking on carrots - that is one that I've never been able to get to "hit" just right but try again every year.

Keep them coming guys, I know I'm not the only one getting in the mood to smell the dirt again!

·
Registered
395 Posts
i keep seeing the name ledmans watermelons come up are these a special varietyor something differnt

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Brandon, You might want to try cushaws in your market. I have never been able to grow enough to meet the demand here. one year I stared 96 seed got almost 100% germination got a good crop and sold out. the orange ones are not as productive but sell real good. the green ones are very productive and get fairly large.
everything else looks like a good choice.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ivan, the Ledmons are a new thing to me this year. They are an heirloom variety that from everything I read get pretty good size and are delicious... Jim or Dave may be able to fill you in more on them.
Bruce, I forgot to put Cushaws on there but they are on the list. That was one of my best crops last year, I only grew about 20-25 and sold all but 5 that I held back for seed. I just grew the green striped heirlooms, and they all got to be a good size and very popular for decor (and tasted good too!) Thank you for reminding me, I can't believe I forgot about them. These orange ones intrigue me though, I've never heard of them.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
You're behind we've already got seeds germinating :lol: Of course they're flowers not veggies ;) We decided to start flowers from seed this year instead of plugs. Have to start them early because they need to be blooming when we open. We got the last of our vegetable seeds in last week. We sell plants by the way, not vegetables. We're usually "done" by the middle of June. I keep intending to get some plants in the ground to sell the veggies at farmers market but never get around to it.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Sounds like you boys got it pretty well covered. I guess this year I'll just get to set back and be the official taste tester and picture taker. :D :D :D Always kind of looked foreward to reaching that stage in life.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Brandon, why are you afraid of selling cantalopes? Lots of Athena and Hales Best Jumbos are planted here.
Are cushaws different from Crenshaw melons?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Cushaws are a pumpkin. they will cross with pumpkins and yield odd things i have never had any luck saving seeds although they are not according to my research a hybrid. pumpkins that get fairly large but stay green Etc. If you make a pie out of cushaw you will never go back to pumpkin. I have once saved a couple in a cool room until Feb. but have been unable to do that again. I buy seeds from deerfields (A local Amish supplier of produce stuff) J.K. Harris and Johnny's selected seeds.There is a place near Liberty Ky similar to Deerfields, I don't know how far that is from you. It may be around Yosemite Ky., there are a lot of Amish around there. I have never been there, just heard of it.
http://s1238.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ort=3&o=56
The dog was not impressed. Sorry I don't know how to edit him out.
http://s1238.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... c.jpg.html
If someone knows how to fix the pictures, feel free.
Other fall ornamentals that sell good here, YMMV
Autumn wings.
Rouge Vif D'Etampes
any of the small ones, Baby boo, hooligan, lil pump ke mon, etc.
Apple gourds.
At one time I grew over 100 different fall ornamentals, I can relate personal experience on many of them.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ernie - it sounds like you've got everything rolling good in Winchester! I can imagine plants would have to start pretty early to be ready for the Spring season - best of luck!

Jimmy, the thing that scares me with cantaloupe up here is that whenever there is an outbreak of food-born illness related to Cantaloupes people start getting paranoid and I have seen local farms accused of selling them a melon that made them sick. While I know that they would sell well up here (I sell thousands in my produce department through the summer) I wouldn't want to chance a lawsuit the way some people are - even though we don't irrigate and I know that they would be safely grown on our farm. I will grow them for the family, I'm just not sure about for market sales.

I like the pictures Bruce, those orange ones are a beauty! This last fall we did the Cushaws and Swan Gourds and sold a lot of them locally for decor - fetching a decent price considering how little was actually put in to them. We are expanding out on our fall decor items this year big time with a variety of pumpkins and gourds and will hopefully see the same luck this year. If I can just get my pumpkin technique fine tuned a little it should come out pretty good! Thanks for posting the pictures as well.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Anything I can do to help, let me know.
the biggest thing here with any of the cucurbit family is those little spotted and striped cucumber beetles they carry all sorts of nasty diseases.
cantaloupes rank high on the danger list because the netted skin can harbor things and when you cut into them you spread it inside.
and yea, the get rich quick schemes are part of the reason I quit.
You must either be a early riser or a night shifter like myself.
On a weird note I called up a pic of the Rouge because I could not remember how to spell it and somehow made the picture under my icons when I boot up.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Bruce, thanks for the cushaw info. I had never heard of them ,so that prompted the question.

Also, I understand your reasoning Brandon about cantalopes, but what I have experienced is that I'll often get the question "did you grow these" about everything. But when a certain thing like cantalopes is in the news, more often than not, the customers at the farmers market will buy them cuz many folks believe the store lopes are tainted.

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
single tree farm said:
Dave, what do you think of the Better Boys? They seem (from what I've read and people I've talked to) to be a very hardy producing variety - hence why I went with them.
My hats off to you for taking on carrots - that is one that I've never been able to get to "hit" just right but try again every year.
I thought I answered this , but I don't see my post, must be lost in cyberspace. :roll:
Brandon, I've tried Big Boys, Ponderosa, and Better Boys for big "samich slicers", and found I like the Better Boys best.
They seem to bare better after the first pickin', are meatier, and not as acidic as the others.
There's no trick to growing carrots, just hoe up a ridge, and plant them on top like with sweet 'taters, keep them cleaned out and wait till late to pull them.
It's just hard to see the seeds when you plant them. They are so small and the same color as the dirt in my garden.
Which reminds If I remember to start some slips at the end of next month I'll plant some sweet 'taters too. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Brandon, we grow Danvers Half Long carrots. They work better for us on our heavier, clay soils Since we have been the only sellers growing carrots, we don't have much trouble selling them.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So much information coming to light in this thread, thanks everybody and please lets keep it all coming. The carrots I think are just something that I'm not meant to grow but will continue to try - I usually try the Danvers Half Long like Jim is talking about - it just seems that I can't keep them cleaned out without destroying them in the process (I suppose that clumsy would be the word.) :lol: With our new hillers for the Farmall though I plan on making a larger ridge this year so maybe it will go differently.
And Bruce, I grew up in the family where my dad was a night - shifter like yourself, so as a young man growing up you sort of learn to run on the schedule of the man you're always following around... needless to say I am an early-person at heart. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
We bought 2lbs of silver queen corn and 2lbs of blue lake beans this week along with several packs of mater seeds. Getting ready :!: :D

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's killing me waiting on spring... especially with the weather we had yesterday! Then I brought in some opening season personal watermelons at work... combined with the terrific crop of strawberries that Florida has been sending up our way it did not help my yearnings for March. Trying any new types of tomatoes this year, Jimmy?

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
single tree farm said:
It's killing me waiting on spring... especially with the weather we had yesterday! Then I brought in some opening season personal watermelons at work... combined with the terrific crop of strawberries that Florida has been sending up our way it did not help my yearnings for March. Trying any new types of tomatoes this year, Jimmy?

Not sure about new varieties of maters yet Brandon. It has always amazed me that people will pay more for those mini-melons than they will a full-sized one :!: :shock: :eek: :lol: I wonder if it is an off-shoot of the green movement :!: :idea: :?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts