Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 80-year old dad is ready to sell some of his "treasures" starting with an antique horse powered hay press. I've spent weeks trying to research more about it, but still not sure what kind it is. Any help learning more about it, finding a value for it, and how to find a buyer for it would be greatly appreciated! Maybe he will let me sell more of his junk, I mean treasures, if I'm able to sell this for him! Hay Press - body.jpg Hay Press - boards.jpg Hay Press - from mule end.jpg Hay Press - wheel on mule end.jpg

·
Registered
757 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 80-year old dad is ready to sell some of his "treasures" starting with an antique horse powered hay press. I've spent weeks trying to research more about it, but still not sure what kind it is. Any help learning more about it, finding a value for it, and how to find a buyer for it would be greatly appreciated! Maybe he will let me sell more of his junk, I mean treasures, if I'm able to sell this for him! View attachment 14794 View attachment 14802 View attachment 14810 View attachment 14818
His stuff may be junk to you but to him there is no money value and to your kids or grandkids that "junk" may be just as priceless . I wish my dad had kept some of my grandfathers equipment and tools but to him it was all junk he would never use and now 20 years later my dad could retire a very very wealthy man off the same stuff he sold for pennies just to get it out of his hair

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,125 Posts
There is a non-financial value found in the memories provided by family heirlooms. I have lots of "junk" that qualifies for that status. Some of your items might be worthy of displaying in an agricultural or historical museun. There are avenues to explore, historical groups and even the Ag. Extension service in your area.

Welcome to ATF and keep us posted.

Reactions: Wi11y

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, and calling it "junk" is what we've teased him about all our adult lives. We are actually very appreciative of his collections, and I've made sure to take pictures of him doing everything over the years that we want to always remember - logging, raising cattle, working in tobacco, working in the hay fields, etc. Unfortunately, my mom has been diagnosed with ALS and my dad wants to sell some things to help provide for her medical needs. This is the first thing he wants to sell because he has always wanted to find a good owner for it, who will be able to use it and appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been emailing museums too, exploring that option. I hadn't thought about the ag extension offices, thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
8,125 Posts
At the NC State Fair that is in session this week there is permanent display exhibit filled with animal and tractor powered antique machinery. It was donated so there is no financial gain. Most items have a nice nameplate with the make and model of the item and the donor is listed.

Reactions: Wi11y

·
Super Moderator
852 Posts
Welcome to ATF!

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts