Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been ridin big harleys since 17, 72 now, done plenty of wheelies on those. today with box scraper full, tires were spinning, i raised the box scraper to empty it & wooo hooo first wheelie. puckered some but shorts stayed clean. 1953 wd45:eek:

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
Be cautious, a box scraper don't make a very good wheelie bar. The lift arms push up too high.
It's kindda like riding a wave to a farmer. See if you can ride it to the end.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Glad everything is ok. One of my goals each day is to keep all wheels on the ground!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
When the front tires are up or even light on ground contact the rear tires steer you. If one tire is spinning and the other grabbing the direction you go is unknown. The box blade kept you strait. It happens quick so always be ready to clutch. Tractors are great tools but farming being one of the most dangerous jobs is related to tractor and other related equipment accidents.
Modern tractors may be more safe with interlocks built in. Still dangerous

Most members here have are riding antique tractors and have done unintentional wheelies and learn how to react. Stay safe , consider adding some front end weight.
If you ride a Harley and are still kicking you already know how to react quick. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
shook me up some. hope i didn't sound like a smart a** . thanks all for the GOOD advice

Not at all.
Just a side note . Most old tractors have brakes that can be used together or separate. Like on your bike in a pinch situation brakes can be an asset or your worst enemy. Old tractor brakes usually grab different side to side and if used hard going to fast or even slow can throw you sideways if pushed hard. Your brakes may be fine.
You may be able to adjust them.
I know you are no rookie and I hope not to sound like an old lecturer .

·
Registered
57 Posts
My first wheelie was on a John Deere 520 as I was plowing. I hit some Mississippi River black dirt and pulled the lift lever too quickly. Front wheels went up before plow came out of ground. One of my teenage experiences I won't forget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts