Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week about a HF battery charger/starter booster i picked up on clearance.

It made some exagerated.. or at least.. not well documented claims.. but in testing.. was still beefy for the $$

have used it for the past week, including today, and have some more reports.

I've used the 10a and 40a settings pretty good thru-out the week getting some seldom used bats going. works as advertised. the 2/10/40 settings are not bogus.. i verified them with a dc clamp and a shunt meter.. and did a ac clamp on the wire to the xformer input as a test to see what she drew.. some dirty math says she's banging right on target.

got to try the starter boost out today under real live circumstancs vs static load testing I did before.

got about the same results. on the 200a boost setting you can realize about 150a of usefull boost.

i was jumping off a 850 gasser that had been setting around waiting for a carb cleaning and adjustment.. and bat was too weak .. put her on for a few minutes of 40 to get the juices flowing as Ibuttoned the carb vack up, then hit the starter boost. can deffinately say the starter spun over pretty decently :)

not quite a scientific test.. but good observational comparison between what she normall did, did when low, and did when boosted.

downside? the plastic wheels, as I reported.. are cheap.. they have an unsupported hub where the axle goes thru. and apepar to be thin HDPE.. i forsee and EXPECT them to crack. at which time i'll pop on a set of push lawnmower tires I have in the salvage box.. i rescued a tank and the 4 wheelsfrom a mower at the dump a long while back. tank makes a great temp run tank.. have used it as such. had no use fo rthe wheels yet.. but believe that will change soon. my other idea was to cut wheels out of some scrap 3/4" marine plywood i had left over from adding a skin to my trailer deck. the lawnmower wheels will be less work.

PS.. .. started a new engineering job as of saturday.. so my time online will be 'adjusted' for a bit.

:)

G

·
0 Posts
Good info sir. Thanks for posting. I'm still using 2 battery chargers I've had for over 20 years now.
Temp tanks???? Just took our old lawn mower tank off Colin's 850. Great for testing units out before covering the engine up with the big tank. I think I have 2 or 3 of them set up for that.

Congrats on the new Job. Hope the hours are a bit more plentiful than at the last one..........................

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hours were looking like they were going to be cut.. and perhaps some weeks they are.. but just got an update on my schedule.. while 2 weeks are cut 1.5 hrs.. 1 week is normal and one week, unless I make changes i'll be in OT.. weird.. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts