Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope one of you can help. My friend has a Ford 2000 with strange issues with what appears to be the carb. Some days it will start and others it won't even hit a lick. When it starts it runs fine as long as you don't turn left. Right turns are fine but when you turn left, it sputters and gas pours out of the carb. It is not a power steering tractor so it is not some abnormal loading on the engine.

Also, it is more likely to start if the carb is on the downhill side of the tractor when it is parked.

The carb has been rebuilt twice by two different people. The float and seat were both replaced, but no change in the situation.

First, does this sound like a carb issue to you?
Second, is there an aftermarket solution to the carb issue? The stock carb is $500 according to a mechanic he talked to and he would prefer to spend less if possible. He has already spent nearly as much as the tractor is worth on electrical parts,.

Any help you can offer would be awesome!

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Sounds like a gas tank situation. Like maybe the owner isnt keeping the tank full. The drain is on one side of the tank. A right hand turn the fuel is sloshing to the side with the drain. Go to the left and the fuel goes out of reach to the other side of the tank.

Yes it does sound like the float isnt seating correctly if it is dumping fuel out when the engine fails. Was the seat and needle replace when the carb was replaced? Also was the float checked to make sure it floats slightly above a bowl full of fuel? If the float doesnt float in fuel, rebuilding the carb wont matter what turn you make.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Which 2000 does he have?
62-64 4 cylinder model or 65-75 3 cylinder
Completely different carbs and fuel systems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not rebuild the carb, but the guy who did it is a good mechanic. I do know that the needle and seat were changed, but I cannot vouch for the float level. I am sure it was done correctly.

I will check to see if he can recall how much fuel he had in it for that issue, but with it sending the fuel out of the carb, I am not sure this is it.

Could it be that the fuel cap on the tank has a plugged vent?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have him look. :)

Seriously though, in my Kubota 8560, we found a piece of sweatshirt in the fuel tank from the factory!

·
Registered
202 Posts
3 cylinder model as a fuel pump located in the left front corner of the timing cover, behind the generator.
It also has as many as 3 screens plus a filter in the system.
1st screen is in the tanks shut off valve, another in the fuel pump inlet fitting and possibly a 3rd in the carb inlet fitting.
Some have a inline filter near the carb and some have a multi disc brass filter inside the sediment bowl.
Make sure all screens are clean, fuel pump works and there's good gas flow to the carb before going any farther.

My brother fought his 3400 utility for 6 months before we found the brass filter in the sediment bowl wasn't allowing enough flow to the carb at times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the problem I think. The float was not properly seated and was hitting the side of the float bowl. Fixed that and it has been working for the last few days.

Thanks for all of your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts