Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 2110 Tractor:
I have worked on many of these over the years. This one was a trip. The tractor acted like it had water in the fuel. It has a gravity fed Holley updraft carb. I checked everything over and over, it was driving me nuts too. After check and cleaning fuel filters, draining carb bowl several times the tank's fuel shut valve's handle broke off and I had to order a new one. Once the new valve arrived, I got out my fuel catching tub and removed the valve and installed the new valve. While waiting until the next day in brought the old valve inside and set it on the window sill to show a friend. The next day, I went to pick up the old shut valve and dropped it. I then saw what whole problem was all about. The internal part of the valve was pack with dead stink bug parts. No kidding. The new valve came with a screen which will help but, those stinkbugs can get into anything. Just FYI ....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Over the years I have pulled hay chaff, bugs, paint chips, dirt, pea vines, etc. out of the fuel valves on Fordson and Ford tractors. All from owners that had "clean" fuel supplies. And a reminder, those screens are there for a purpose, please don't remove them because they "restrict" the fuel flow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The original valve came with a screen, sometimes they fall off, sometimes their taken off, you'll have less fuel issues with the screen in place.
3 cylinder gas powered Ford tractors do not have gravity feed carburetors, they have a mechanical fuel pump located in the front left side of the engine behind the generator.
Some bypass the fuel pump and the tractor will run find until you head up a steep grade with a low tank of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
I have loaned a tractor a few times to a family member who knows how to use one. Once it came back and soon started starving for gas. My guess was that the trash in the tank came from a dirty fuel can when the borrower added gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over the years I have pulled hay chaff, bugs, paint chips, dirt, pea vines, etc. out of the fuel valves on Fordson and Ford tractors. All from owners that had "clean" fuel supplies. And a reminder, those screens are there for a purpose, please don't remove them because they "restrict" the fuel flow.
Yes, I understand. The new valve came with a screen. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts