Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford 3910 Black Stripe tractor with power steering issues. Shocking isn't it? The gear box is leaking and has way too much free play. Does anyone know where I can get a 3910 power steering gear box? I would prefer a white stripe (early model 3910) gear box since the research I have found says that those do not tend to leak while all of the black stripe (later model 3910) gear boxes seem to leak. I would also be satisfied if there is an aftermarket replacement. I have been unable to find anything that will work to fix the problem. The box has been taken apart and the seals replaced already and it did absolutely no good.

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
I'd at least start with a CNH dealer, and All States Ag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally found one rebuilt. I found a white stripe model but they required a white stripe core. I then found a black stripe box at Mid South Salvage. They had 2 rebuilt ones. Will install it tomorrow (hopefully). Any helpful advice for that job?

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
I suggest using a camera and take pics from before starting and along the process to document the process. You will have a guide to refer back to if you reach a sticking point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did take your advice about the photos. That was a good idea.

The job was pretty easy. Tho only issue was that the rubber dust cap over the top of the steering column was torn and is not available from the dealer. I have not been able to find it anywhere else. Any suggestions? I am thinking gorilla tape at this point.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Someone lied to you
Dust grommet NH # D2NN3A566B superseded to NH # 81827446 $12.72
Messik's has 8 in stock, found some a eBay, amazon, ect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I thought it was strange that there is no dust protection for the steering column available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts