Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there . Need help with a tractor that I have . It has written on the side as FORD MAJOR 4000 but I cant find any information about it .I think it might be 1965 model by looking at pictures on the net .I cant find the model number as where other people say to look . I have a ford manual which has a parts list which is good . The problem is I live in Australia and cant fine the right contacts to ask Questions . I watch a lot of Utube programs about the ford tractor but there overseas ,I have learnt a lot from watching these programs as I am new to this . many thanks Brett

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
Hello and welcome Brett. If you can post a photo of your old tractor. We would be glad to help you identify it, and hopefully answer any questions you may have.
I do know that the '65 to '67 model Ford 4000 that were built in Europe were badged as Ford Major 4000, but that's about all I know about them.
Sorry your membership got caught up in "computer limbo" for a few days.
Does your tractor look like this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,028 Posts
The pic jogged a memory of once hearing that the Fords with headlights mounted in the grill were European made. There were a couple of them around here many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
Is this what you are looking for;
55 hp

Ford 4000
Ford 4000 Power:
Engine:55 hp [41.0 kW]
Drawbar (claimed):41 hp [30.6 kW]
PTO (claimed):46 hp [34.3 kW]
Plows:4

·
Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
The four-cylinder (1962-1965) Ford 4000 series tractors were nearly identical to the 801 and 901 series tractors
Ford 4000 Engines:
Ford 2.8L 4-cyl gasoline
Ford 2.8L 4-cyl diesel
Ford 2.8L 4-cyl LP gas
full engine details ...
Capacity:
Fuel:17 gal [64.3 L]
3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type:I,II
Rear lift:3200 lbs [1451 kg]
Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO:tranmission
live*
independent*
Rear RPM:540
540/1000*
Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase:84.5 inches [214 cm]
Weight:3162 to 3502 pounds
Front tire:6.00x16
Rear tire:13.6x28
full dimensions and tires ...
4000 Serial Numbers:
photo of 4000 serial number
1962: 1001
1963: 11949
1964: 38931

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi there . Need help with a tractor that I have . It has written on the side as FORD MAJOR 4000 but I cant find any information about it .I think it might be 1965 model by looking at pictures on the net .I cant find the model number as where other people say to look . I have a ford manual which has a parts list which is good . The problem is I live in Australia and cant fine the right contacts to ask Questions . I watch a lot of Utube programs about the ford tractor but there overseas ,I have learnt a lot from watching these programs as I am new to this . many thanks Brett
Thanks big Dave . This is how the tractor was when I brought it , Its my first tractor and never had any thing to do with them before . Its been very reliable at the moment .I brought the tractor to do my driveway as it gets washed away when it rains .I want to clean it up and make it a bit tidier but where to make a start . Finding parts to make a start is a bit hard as everything seems to be in America or in that part of the world . Would this tractor be a new Holland tractor . Could someone help me with the front wheel .The tube has a slow leak and need to have it repaired but not real shore how to take the wheel of as there no studs to remove it . Is that a big nut on the wheel which needs to come off ,and will all the bearings come out as well . Sorry I am only new at this . all the other tractors have wheel studs . Many thanks Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The four-cylinder (1962-1965) Ford 4000 series tractors were nearly identical to the 801 and 901 series tractors
Ford 4000 Engines:
Ford 2.8L 4-cyl gasoline
Ford 2.8L 4-cyl diesel
Ford 2.8L 4-cyl LP gas
full engine details ...
Capacity:
Fuel:17 gal [64.3 L]
3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type:I,II
Rear lift:3200 lbs [1451 kg]
Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO:tranmission
live*
independent*
Rear RPM:540
540/1000*
Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase:84.5 inches [214 cm]
Weight:3162 to 3502 pounds
Front tire:6.00x16
Rear tire:13.6x28
full dimensions and tires ...
4000 Serial Numbers:
photo of 4000 serial number
1962: 1001
1963: 11949
1964: 38931

thanks the only numbers that i can find there are these. thanks Brett

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
You definitely have a '65-'67 Ford 4000. The Major is the last remnant of the Fordson brand tractor. Ford decided to no longer engineer different style tractors for different markets in 1965. It only appeared for two years from '65 to '67. The tinwork was slightly redesigned in '68.
The serial number should be stamped on the flat just aft of the starter above the two holes.
The thing is, where the battery is stored acid can drop and etch out the numbers. I have seen it happen on other Fords.
Some light sanding could reveal the numbers.

New Holland supports OEM parts that are still available for your tractor. Though with a 55 year old tractor not everything is available from them.
Aftermarket suppliers and salvage yards are a good parts supplier for old tractor owners.

The "big nut" on the front wheel is actually a hub cap to contain the bearing grease. Take it off ,clean the grease, and you should see a castle nut that holds the wheel and bearings. With that type wheel where the hub and wheel are one, you will have to remove the outer bearing to remove the wheel. The rear grease seal will contain the rear bearing in the hub.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigDaveinKY
Thanks for all the help . I thought that about the front wheel . So could be a bit of a pain in the butt to take off . You where right about the serial number . 5A 14 is all I could find . Do you think that there could be more as its very faded ,I had to give it a light sand .I would really like to to give it a tidy up .Do you think I would be wasting my time doing it up ,as I can do all the panel and painting myself, and some mechanical work .Everything seams to be working ok for its age . The 3 point linkage has it days , as when you raise or lower it there is NO slow, it fast up and fast down . Could it be low in hydraulic oil. Once again thanks very much for your time . Brett

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
There should be three lines of numbers.

A bit of cleaning and paint wouldn't hurt a bit. You wouldn't be wasting your time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, This is Mark. I'm Experts to help you in the choice of your tractor Brands and all Things About tractor.

yes.. the dual valve is about that much.. or you can use the single to power a generic dual, and have more hoses.. but less cost.

the power steering is less effective at low rpm. idling.. will be nill. at working rpm.. a 3 cyl 4000 should be able to steer with a finger almost.

I bet you saw D1014C

post 68 ag chassis, diesel, independent 540 PTO and 8spd twin-stick trans.

very common build..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts