Antique Tractors Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yea, old corroded wiring will sometimes cause some issues. Also, if you run the tractor in the dark, and see any sparks or arcing, its time to replace wiring where that is happening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hey engine has a tag on it that says "ford industrial engine" and where the blue is peeling off you can tell its a different shade of red almost more orange color does that sound like the original engine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
and whats the best way to get fulid out of the back tires. i just want air in there so i can take them on and off myself until the restoration is over. is that stuff toxic? can i just remove the valve stem and let it go? will the epa come after me? will the stuff kill my dog and other animals? will it kill the grass?? i don't know what that stuff is

·
Administrator
4,109 Posts
Looks like the original Red Tiger engine to me. Could be the heat faded the paint more than on the rest of the tractor.

Could be several things in the tires. If it's a murky clear it's calcium chloride also known as road salt. Most commonly used.
It will kill grass for about a year or so. Blue, it's windshield washer fluid. Some folks used it because it's not corrosive to steel wheels.
Not sure of it's toxicity. If it's reddish-brown it's Rim Guard also known as "beet juice" the newer liquid ballast that is eco friendly and non corrosive.
That's all I know that folks use for ballast except plain water. Which where you are I doubt it's just water. Drain it out on a gravel driveway or lot. It'll be fine.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts