Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ford 600 hydraulic lift arms would only raise about 1/4 of the range after sitting over winter. I lifted them all the way up and cycled the lift lever a few times. After that I had a full range of motion and a strong lift. The problem is now that when I put a load on it it initially lifts it fine, but slowly drifts down until the load almost touches the ground then it raises quickly back to the top. It will do this continuously as long as rpms are above idle. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
My first guess would be a leaky seal on the lift cylinder, or a leak in a line somewhere.
It had air in the system, and you primed it when you did what you did.
A worn or sticky relief or down valve would be my next guess for the hydraulic problem you're describing.
If it has depth control as well as just a lift it could be that valve worn or sticking as well.
This would be only experience from general tractor hydraulics as I don't have experience on your model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first guess would be a leaky seal on the lift cylinder, or a leak in a line somewhere.
It had air in the system, and you primed it when you did what you did.
A worn or sticky relief or down valve would be my next guess for the hydraulic problem you're describing.
If it has depth control as well as just a lift it could be that valve worn or sticking as well.
This would be only experience from general tractor hydraulics as I don't have experience on your model.
A friend suggested I loosen the dip stick where I check the hydraulic fluid and work the control lever to allow air to escape. After that, it quit cycling and started working perfectly. Problem solved! Whatever was the problem, holding up the lift arms and allowing the piston to work without weight then allowing air to escape the hydraulic compartment worked.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Good Deal (y) If it's fixed and didn't cost anything it's a great repair.
My luck never runs that direction. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts