Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, retired firefighter here, I've got an 860 model ford and recently got it going after a 2 year rest. (Had to replace the radiator and soft plugs). Cleaned the carb and fresh fuel, new plugs, wires, cap, points, condensor and rotor on it. It started good and worked it for about half an hour then parked it overnight. Next day I put more gas in it and went to start it, it will chug for a few seconds then quit. Seemed to be flooding so doublechecked the carb. Still same issue, next was a spark checker thing that goes inline to the plug and it would show spark maybe every 4 or 5 revolutions so tried direct between coil and distributor, still intermittent spark. Any ideas? It was running fine when I parked it overnight. Also have a front mount distributor 8n that I got in barter that's next on the list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Condensor, I know you replaced it but electrical stuff fails randomly. Next I would look at coil, check the primary lead too for arcing over to ground. Next I would run a wire directly from the battery to the 12V terminal on the coil. Did you re-install the rotor clip in the distributor? I have screwed that up before!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Condensor, I know you replaced it but electrical stuff fails randomly. Next I would look at coil, check the primary lead too for arcing over to ground. Next I would run a wire directly from the battery to the 12V terminal on the coil. Did you re-install the rotor clip in the distributor? I have screwed that up before!
Replaced coil as well, and the cap won't clip down without the rotor sitting down in place, pretty much just leaves the condensor. Even ran a wire directly from the hot terminal to the coil itself..still same thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts