Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get around to tinkering with Ford 860 tractor I picked up last fall. I don’t know much about these but I thought it was neat it had a Ford front loader on it. Just got new hoses, battery and starter for it today. My boys and me will get it painted before too long.

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
Looks pretty straight. It will be a good experience for your boys. Best of luck with it and post pics along the way.

Reactions: jcmurph and RacerX

·
Administrator
4,230 Posts
That's a heavy loader for a tractor with an ag front end. It's the same as on my 3400 industrial. Not saying it won't work well on it.
Just that I would make sure to check and replace the axel pivot bushing if it hasn't been, and the other bearings in the front wheels.
While I had it apart painting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a heavy loader for a tractor with an ag front end. It's the same as on my 3400 industrial. Not saying it won't work well on it.
Just that I would make sure to check and replace the axel pivot bushing if it hasn't been, and the other bearings in the front wheels.
While I had it apart painting it.
Thank you for that advice! It worked well when I tested it, granted i didn’t use it for much before buying it but it ran pretty well for an old tractor.

I plan to replace all the wiring and hoses first, maybe try to get the carb rebuilt? Let me know if you have any other helpful insights. This is my first old tractor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Got all the parts in and repairs made. It’s running pretty good. I wanted to ask about the clutch on these tractors, I’ve got to raise my knee all the way to the wheel before the clutch engages. Is there any adjustment that can be made or is that just something I’ll have to learn to live with?

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
You should have 3/4" to 1" of free travel in the pedal before you begin to disengage the clutch when you press.down on the pedal. Follow the pedal linkage from the pedal to the where it connects at the bell housing. I'll bet you will see a place.to adjust it. The Ford experts will offer more and better details I am sure. I recently helped a neighbor adjust the free pedal travel on an 8N.

Reactions: jcmurph
1 - 7 of 7 Posts