Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Mark bought a 60 inch finish mower for his 8N and he says it keeps jumping out of gear PTO wise and he has the reset the lever and lock it in. Does anyone know if this is common or if there is a problem I should look into???

·
Registered
316 Posts
Derrick, Is this the 8N you painted earlier this year?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob Kline said:
Derrick, Is this the 8N you painted earlier this year?
Yes

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sometimes the nut at the end of the shifter rail that holds the fork on will come loose. Or the detent ball may have a flat spot. Or the shifter rail groove maybe worn. Or could be a well worn fork at the end of the lever that moves the shifter rail to engage the pto. It could also be a twisted pto shaft (no ORC used) causing problems on the sleeve or bearing in the housing for the pto shaft. Drain some fluid and put the side cover for a look see. Put up the parts manual so you can see what I'm talking about.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'll get up there this weekend and take a look see

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soundguy said:
if it's got thrust play.. ya gotta pull it. park nose down.. won't loose any oil. just a 4 bolt job then.
what do I do to take out the end play? I don't have a manual with me yet?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
thrust play on a pto shaft is caused by one or mor eof the following:

damaged bearing carrier ( that cast housing that holds it all in with 4 bolts ). many times a long telescoping pto shaft that was not trimmed presses on things and pushes the shaft in and it pops the split rings out of the grooves and when doing so breaks the rings.. or shaves the edge of the groove off so even if you do pop em back in.. they pop back out. I have seen the back o fhte carrier broke out as well.

Also.. the bearing itself on the shaft may be worn out.

there is a seal wear ring that is driven on the shaft. sometimes it moves. it's a wear item anyway so...

one or mor eof those issues is the problem of thrust play. if you also get side play. figure on it being the bearing.. however the thrust play can cause the bearing to die.. so just becaus ethe bearing is dead doesn't mean that there is not another issue.

4 botls pulls it out for a looksee.

at very worse.. 130$ gets a new assy shipped to your door.. ready to bolt in.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
soundguy said:
thrust play on a pto shaft is caused by one or mor eof the following:

damaged bearing carrier ( that cast housing that holds it all in with 4 bolts ). many times a long telescoping pto shaft that was not trimmed presses on things and pushes the shaft in and it pops the split rings out of the grooves and when doing so breaks the rings.. or shaves the edge of the groove off so even if you do pop em back in.. they pop back out. I have seen the back o fhte carrier broke out as well.

Also.. the bearing itself on the shaft may be worn out.

there is a seal wear ring that is driven on the shaft. sometimes it moves. it's a wear item anyway so...

one or mor eof those issues is the problem of thrust play. if you also get side play. figure on it being the bearing.. however the thrust play can cause the bearing to die.. so just becaus ethe bearing is dead doesn't mean that there is not another issue.

4 botls pulls it out for a looksee.

at very worse.. 130$ gets a new assy shipped to your door.. ready to bolt in.
Thank you as always for the info

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
once you get to it. post back.

like i said. if it looks like mor ethan 2 things are bad. .. many times just easier for most to slap a new shaft assy in and then keep the old one for parts.. or sell anything good out of it and scrap the rest. IE.. say the bearing carrier was bad.. but the shaft and bearing was good. keep it and hte split rings. maybee get a few bucks for the shaft from someone who needs it..e tc. res sell as scrap if the housing was busted in a way as to not be repairabel..e tc.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
soundguy said:
once you get to it. post back.

like i said. if it looks like mor ethan 2 things are bad. .. many times just easier for most to slap a new shaft assy in and then keep the old one for parts.. or sell anything good out of it and scrap the rest. IE.. say the bearing carrier was bad.. but the shaft and bearing was good. keep it and hte split rings. maybee get a few bucks for the shaft from someone who needs it..e tc. res sell as scrap if the housing was busted in a way as to not be repairabel..e tc.
Where do you source the complete new assembly from?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I went out and looked at that Ford....couple problems. No thrust end play to speak of and no side movement....the lever clicks in and out nice and tight. Getting ready to dig in when I happen to grab the mower end and its barely on the pto shaft extension! The extension is wobbling around! I put the extension on correctly and tightened the bolt properly then seated the implement completely, greased the dry spindles and put 90 weight in the unit cause it was dry and to our surprise it works now! :lol:

Then I checked his MF2200 industrial loader tractor and found the fan blade gone! not just cracked...lose belt, 3 quarts of oil down and approximately 1 gallon of Hyd fluid down....took care of all that too! Great day off :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Derrick, you need to put a adv. in local papers, "NEED REPAIRS, - HAVE WRENCHES, - WILL TRAVEL" contact: D. S.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob Kline said:
Hey Derrick, you need to put a adv. in local papers, "NEED REPAIRS, - HAVE WRENCHES, - WILL TRAVEL" contact: D. S.
Making it actual work will take the fun out of it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts