Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and picked up an 8N for a friend of mine tonight! No pictures or numbers yet so not sure of the year....was a foot throttle optional on them? Nice tractor with nice rubber and a back blade included, he wants us to paint it for him before he takes it home to his wife :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
DerickS said:
I went out and picked up an 8N for a friend of mine tonight! No pictures or numbers yet so not sure of the year....was a foot throttle optional on them? Nice tractor with nice rubber and a back blade included, he wants us to paint it for him before he takes it home to his wife :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes they were an aftermarket add on. Some were even pretty ingenious with their own versions.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stephenscity said:
DerickS said:
Yes they were an aftermarket add on. Some were even pretty ingenious with their own versions.
It looks really well done thats why I asked....i'll get some pics in the light tomorrow :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here's one for the 8n. Of course there are some homemade one out there. I believe RedRock has this one available.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats great! I will get some pics of this one tomorrow

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Ford 8N Update with PICS!

Here is the diamond in the rough

The foot pedal! what are the chances its a Dowden :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
NICE!!!!!Never got the added foot throttle but to each their own.Are you going to restore it or keep it as a worker? They are really tough and will surprise ya what they can do.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stephenscity said:
NICE!!!!!Never got the added foot throttle but to each their own.Are you going to restore it or keep it as a worker? They are really tough and will surprise ya what they can do.
Its not actually mine :D Its a friends and he wants me to do some mechanical stuff and paint it up like we did Harolds Avery back in 2011

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Never seen one with the foot feed. Thats a good looking tractor the way it sits be sure and take some pictures as you go along. Looking foreward to seeing them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The tractor looks like it's got some nice rubber, a big ticket item and overall not in too bad of shape and some nice tin. Those radius rod will need some attention as will the front axle, kingpin, bushing, and spindles. I think the shock for the monroe EZ ride seat you may be able to still get. Looks like a 1951/52. Good luck with it. Post some "in the process" photos when you can.
I just made a deal on an 8n for a friend. We won't be picking it up for a couple of weeks. It's still burried in the snow.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all! Kirk, how do radius rods get bent like that? I can only do what the new owners budget will let me so I will to asses everything for him and go with it :D .

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
as a plus.. the axles look dry.. no weeps.. she's a side mount.. that's a kinda pluss too.. as it puts her later. later axles had 2 seals.. etc.

I see the front end needs attention badly.. the radius rods are pretzles.. likely means the front bolster and kingpin / bushing are in need of service. that's just metal work though.. nothing catastrophic.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
DerickS said:
Thanks all! Kirk, how do radius rods get bent like that? I can only do what the new owners budget will let me so I will to asses everything for him and go with it :D .
hitting something with the front end will do it...especially if the bolster/kingpin/bushing is already hogged out.

I notice there is a repalced front grill :) thus i suspect front hit something.. or axle hit somtheing.

stump.. etc..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To bend them that bad i wonder how hard it it!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a quick fix for bent radius rods using a bottle jack, angle iron and a couple of chains. This will fix the radius rods while still on the tractor but will not fix the axle, axle center pin and bushing which will have to be removed for repair. The way those rods are bent it wouldn't surprise me if the axle and axle carrier holes are all waddled out and are in need of repair or replacement.
I can email you a couple of photos of the fix for the radius rods. I'm having trouble with photobucket new system to post them here.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have those pics from another post on here....i will have to get the manual to know all the other parts you are alking about. I dont know the Fords too well :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you are replacing the axle pin and bushing I would order them from the same place to ensure proper fit. Mic the hole and get the size you need. Not all Manuf. are not the same sizes although it may be all one 8n part #. I've done a few axle pins/bushings and you don't want to have to made new parts fit.
The bend of the radius rods indicates a more than one shot hit. Both front wheels have been hit several times. The new grill and the non ORC adapter on the PTO are an indication that probably a brushog was run and not stopped in time, more than once. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a repaired or aftermarket radiator behind that aftermarket grill.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kirk-NJ said:
If you are replacing the axle pin and bushing I would order them from the same place to ensure proper fit. Mic the hole and get the size you need. Not all Manuf. are not the same sizes although it may be all one 8n part #. I've done a few axle pins/bushings and you don't want to have to made new parts fit.
The bend of the radius rods indicates a more than one shot hit. Both front wheels have been hit several times. The new grill and the non ORC adapter on the PTO are an indication that probably a brushog was run and not stopped in time, more than once. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a repaired or aftermarket radiator behind that aftermarket grill.

Kirk
The rad is super nice....its so cold out I havent had the urge to get out and REALLY inspect the tractor. Everything you are saying is making sense at this point. I will actually go over these posts with my friend Mark who had me pickl the tractor up for him so he understands what we have to do to get it right

·
Registered
530 Posts
Should have posted photos before the deal was made so he could have explain this to the PO and maybe nego a better price.
Sometimes if you point stuff out like that they will understand or sometimes they just say oh that an easy fix but sometimes when you are done with those EZ fixes you're you have put $3000 into a $2000 tractor.
Kirk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts