Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help I've got 1956 900 ford tractor. I'm having trouble with it not cranking and running. I've had the plugs points rotor rotor cap coil plug wires carburetor battery replaced. The tractor still wouldn't start tried pulling it still no luck. We were getting fire to plugs and plenty gas to carb. Then We moved the plugs wires over one position on rotor cap after did this it fired right up. Ok we adjusted carb let run few minutes killed it cranked it up 4-5 times cranked ever time. Went back 2 days later cranked up ran a few minutes died wouldn't start. 2 days afterwards tried starting tractor it cranked then went dead wouldn't start. I'm getting fire at plugs. Fuel to carb. What could be problem? Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are the plugs wet? Could be getting too much gas and washed out the plugs so they won't fire. Have you checked for a restricted air cleaner?

·
Administrator
4,284 Posts
Also try leaving your fuel cap loose to make sure the vent isn't plugged, and causing a vacuum in the tank.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Ok we adjusted carb let run few minutes killed it cranked it up 4-5 times cranked ever time. Went back 2 days later cranked up ran a few minutes died wouldn't start. 2 days afterwards tried starting tractor it cranked then went dead wouldn't start. I'm getting fire at plugs. Fuel to carb.
Fuel TO the carb doesn't necessarily mean fuel THRU the carb.... The first thing I'd do would verify the plug wiring as correct because the plug wires were changed THEN rotated one space on the distrubuter. That shouldn't have to happen if care was taken and the wires were replaced one at a time, but maybe you got lucky.

Running a few minutes then dying is kinda sounding fuel related. No mention of a complete carb servicing, and without punctuation in your text I can't tell if you replaced the carb for sure or not... so my money is currently on some partial restriction in the fuel delivery.

Check the screen on top of the sediment bowl as it could be skinned over with scum and letting just enough gas through to let the motor run a few minutes then falter and fail.

If you charged your battery after it went dead and it doesn't want to engage the starter, remove the cables and clean them and the posts and try it again.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yea it takes a systematic check of all systems to assure there is not one or more things that could be causing your problem. Gordon has it about right. Sounds like you figured out it had the plug wires in the wrong spot or you should play the lotto:)
Gas system needs to have fuel draining out the bottom of the carb to assure its getting to the carb with good flow.
Electrical, Well if it is still the 6 volt system they just wont crank very long. Also all the connection are suspect on these older machines. BTDT.
Good luck and please post some pictures of the 56.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
just like i told you on the other forum. check fuel at the carb.

if it is cranking and starting for a short time, the battery has enough power for sparks, timing is close enough, and compression is at least 'ok', and it has air.

all that leaves is fuel....

·
Registered
367 Posts
A guess from some one that don't know too much.When you said you moved the wires on the cap and it went . Then later , it won't go , but still have spark.
Could it be something broken and moving the timing ?.I had an Outboard motor that would kick back when it was turned off.It would shear the key on the flywheel and turn the flywheel on the shaft . Still had spark when i went to start it , butnot firing in the right place .

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
to the op, we need some more descriptive info.

you use words like cranked and dead. we need very specific info. did cranked and went dead mean that it no longer turned over? like no power.. or it cranks over but won't start?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts