Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a stuck clutch on my 41 9N. This post is a non-invasive method that worked for me to free up my clutch.
I have the Sherman 3 speed tranny, and in the low range I could slip the tractor into 1st gear with only slight teeth gnashing. I know, a horrible thing to do to a tractor, and not the safest thing to do. But I thought that might jar it loose. No luck. The tractor worked fine when parked about 3 months earlier.
I looked on a couple tractor forums, and youtube and about the only advice was to split the tractor and rebuild the clutch. There was one guy who posted about a clutch that would stick if left for months because his rear main seal was leaking and would gum it up. He puts a block of wood between the clutch pedal and stop if the tractor is going to be parked for a long period to reduce the chance of a stuck clutch.
I decided to try rotating the clutch in the reverse direction, to see if that would free it up.
I got the tractor on level ground and with the tractor off(make sure the key is off), put the trany in 3rd. I put a block of wood between the clutch pedal and the stop, about 1 3/4 inch thick. I then grabbed the top of the rear tire and started rocking the tractor backwards and forwards. after about 30 seconds of this motion, I could feel the tractor roll forward.
The clutch was obviously no longer stuck. I started it, stood on the clutch pedal and put it in gear with no gnashing of teeth. The clutch works fine now.
If I'm going to park the tractor in the winter again, I'll make sure it's on level ground so I can rock it if I find it stuck again.
I would think this may work on any tractor brand. I used third gear to get the highest torque applied at the clutch. The Sherman transmission was still in the low range when I tried this. If it had not worked, I probably would have tried putting the Sherman in it's high range.
I don't know why my clutch stuck. I suspect maybe rust? Or it could be gum. I see a very slight amount of oil at the weep hole under the clutch. With a bit of luck I'll never know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I experienced the same issue with my 861. Talked to 3 different mechanics. One said to split it and rebuild. Other two said start it, stand the clutch, rev it high and throttle to idle while quickly while throwing it into 4th or 5th, get it moving and stand on both brakes hard. Broke mine loose. They told me with high humidity/rain the flywheel rusts against the main and this breaks it free. Sounded very scary to me, but worked and saved me a ton of work and money to split the tractor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts