Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to rehab my 1958 Ford Industrial 1821. The tachometer or proof meter cable was missing and can not find where the cable might hook on the engine. Any help you could provide would be helpful. Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Your HD 1821 may not have had a proof meter on it. On the dash it may have been blocked off. If it does have a proofmeter and does not have a hydraulic pump, which the cable would attach to, than it should have a gear drive on the right side rear of engine block. If not than there will be a blank plate there in its plate. I'll take some photos of one of my HD's today to give you a better idea of what to look for.

Kirk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. The tractor came with a proofmeter, but no cable attached. The tractor also has a bucket and a backhoe which is run by the hydraulic pump on the front of the tractor. I have been trying to look for some kind of connection point for the cable all over the engine, but have yet to find anyplace it could go. If you could get me pictures of possible places that would be great. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
first photo is of the gear drive to the engine. Second photo is of a flat plate. Third photo is of my light IND. if you look below and in front of the battery you can see the gear drive that is attached to the hydraulic pump. this location is what you would look for. It will be kind of hard to see on the HD models because of all of the pipes.
Kirk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it! Thank you for your help and pictures. Couldn't have done it without your help.
Here are pictures of mine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very nice machine. The HD's were meant to be workhorses unlike the earlier Ag tractors, just throw a bucket and backhoe on, maybe paint them yellow and call it a heavy duty construction model.
The steering on the 1801 with the actuator cable assembly stunk and you can't get parts anymore. It was later fixed when they went to the 4000 model.
I see you have the sherman reverser on yours. I prefer the sherman combo in my HD TLB's. If you're doing strictly loader work the reverser's fine and if you have a 3pt they are great for post hole digging cause if you get the auger stuck you just reverse it out. I have a 4000 HD apart now working on the rebuilding the trans and because I'm going to add a pto and 3pt system to it would consider a reverser if I had an extra one laying around but the only one I have is in my 4000 HD forklift so I'll probably just put in a combo.

Kirk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts