Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an (approx. age) 1976 or so Ford LT-75 lawn tractor that has a gear problem. It is "locked up" going into 3rd gear but will not engage nor will it engage in any other gear. Worked fine until i shifted into 3rd (at a stop) and "jammed up." Any remedy suggestions on what went wrong or how to fix it?
Dave
[email protected]

· Registered
114 Posts
if there is any external linkage I would look at that first but it is likely that you will need to pull the transaxle out... not sure off hand which trans it has but its old enough that it will be servicable with some basic tools and knowledge.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your insight. Hope it’s not a busted piece as I have no idea where I might find one without buying some old LT-75 for parts.
if there is any external linkage I would look at that first but it is likely that you will need to pull the transaxle out... not sure off hand which trans it has but its old enough that it will be servicable with some basic tools and knowledge.
Lance, thanks for your advice. I’m pretty sure that I’ll have to get into the transaxle. I can’t imagine what I’m getting into. Thanks again.

· Registered
114 Posts
in that era the same trans will have been used in a variety of differant tractors altho often with minor external differances.... so you wont be limited to only ford lt75 parts tractors "IF" you need to go that route at all..... sometimes parts such as the shift forks can be straightened out, repaired or even remanufactured by a machine shop.

I run a homebased small engine service shop and I flip lawn/garden tractors as a side line, 227 sold to date.... I would suspect your lt75 has a Peerless 3 speed which were a very common trans in many tractors including Jacobsen, JD, Massey, MTD, Sears..... and more... but you need to get some good pics of the trans before we can determine which trans it is.

· Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Most likely its a Peerless 600 trans like in my Oliver 75. Both were made by Jacobson with very little differences. I bought a 75 Ford several years ago for the deck for my Oliver
Font Auto part Drawing Line art Engineering
Font Auto part Drawing Line art Engineering

Reactions: Lance Skene

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Hope it’s not a busted piece as I have no idea where I might find one without buying some old LT-75 for parts.

Lance, thanks for your advice. I’m pretty sure that I’ll have to get into the transaxle. I can’t imagine what I’m getting into. Thanks again.
I have an (approx. age) 1976 or so Ford LT-75 lawn tractor that has a gear problem. It is "locked up" going into 3rd gear but will not engage nor will it engage in any other gear. Worked fine until i shifted into 3rd (at a stop) and "jammed up." Any remedy suggestions on what went wrong or how to fix it?
Dave
[email protected]
[/QUOTE
Most likely its a Peerless 600 trans like in my Oliver 75. Both were made by Jacobson with very little differences. I bought a 75 Ford several years ago for the deck for my Oliver
View attachment 23421 View attachment 23421
SHARE POSSIBILITIES A WEBSITE I HAVE USED FOR OLD LAWN EQUIPMENT IS EREPLACEMENTPARTS.com was curious of ford making lawnmower and entered LT-75 which says snapper lt-75 . -- good luck

· Registered
114 Posts
a Snapper lt75 is not a tractor style machine it is a newer small rear engine rider.... the Ford lt75 is an antique garden tractor that was built by Jacobsen... the ereplacements website will not have any thing for an antique GT.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 23421 View attachment 23421
Thanks for the drawings. They appear to be the same as the ones in my tractor parts manual. Do you know, W hich part numbers are the dog shift parts for the 2ed and 3rd gears? I haven't had a chance to go into the garage and start tearing down the transaxle. Thanks again for your help. Dave

· Registered
114 Posts
I would guess that the part #s will not be of any use to you since it is a 50 yr old trans and the likelyhood that anyone still has replacement parts available is slim to none.... your best bet is to find another tractor with a similar transaxle for parts or have the parts you need re-manufactured in a machine shop... if you search long enough you MIGHT find someone with used parts available but most often a parts tractor or a machine shop is both quicker and cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: oliverguy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts