Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the horizontal pic, but I found these today(Saturday). Yes, the tractor came along with them. :idea: :lol:

Notice the lower rod attached to the throttle-like lever. The rod is cut off up near the carb, and I wonder if this SA was equipped with shutters at one time. Also, note the two holes in the top of the hood. Could this be signs of a distillate SA, and were they made? I was told it was a 1952 model. I'll try to get the serial number soon.

This SA was just two farms down the road from our new farm. I'd say it spent 40 to 50 years of its life there. The owner, who is deceased, was a good mechanic and took good care of his stuff. He often did work for others.

The tractor had sat for close to ten years in an enclosed building. When his health began to fail, he could no longer climb on to it. Fertilizer left on and around the distributor workings took a toll on it.

The son-in-law had worked to get things running before the sale. It sounded really good, with just a little black smoke at start up. I am gonna change the oil and make sure fluid levels are where they should be, and put it to work. It will let me know what it needs. Cosmetics and new tires will come with time.

I also found this and couldn't pass it up.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Very nice! With what you all do, one more tractor won't hurt anything at all ;) May even be an excuse to plow a little more ground out so that it can get it's own share in? Maybe some tobacco ground? :lol: Looks great Jimmy, very glad you found those lift rods and that tractor that was hooked up to them. Is the side dresser in good working order too? Those are invaluable, up here at least.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brandon, the only good part of the distributor is the hopper itself. The workings are not all there. The base support is in poor condition, but may be salvageable. It has two cracks in the casting, but I think they can be repaired. This tractor was literally brought in from the field, only to be never used again until now. None of the owners kids were interested in farming, and everything just "sat".

It had dried mud and fertilizer remnants on the hopper base. I do have the seeder and planter sword assembly, layoff plow, and a set of worn out hilling discs. The chain assembly that mounts under the belly of the tractor is complete and good as well as the seeder mount.

I hope the lift will hold fluid. It workd, but is slow. I'm gonna give it a good pressure washing and put it to work. I have an idle one point hitch that also may have found a job.

A 550 Oliver was also sold. I came really close to bidding on it, but thought better of it because I already have more than I need to do now. The Ollie was bought, and never used by the owner because his healtd declined rapidly immediately after its purchase. Ollies were not very plentiful in these parts, and my knowledge about them, like so many things, is very limited.

·
Administrator
4,283 Posts
Nice little farm tractor. Looks pretty solid. Spreader looks hardly used.
You're right put the cultivators in the ground and it'll let you know if it needs attention. ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Jimmie, nice buy on that SA with equipment. Should come in handy for your "farmers market" items.
What did the Oliver 550 bring, - did it run?

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob Kline said:
Hey Jimmie, nice buy on that SA with equipment. Should come in handy for your "farmers market" items.
What did the Oliver 550 bring, - did it run?
Bob, if I didn't have so much on my plate, I woulda bid on it too. I snooped around on the net a bit to try to learn some things about the 550.

The story behind it is that the owner bought it in 2002. He paid $2500 for it. He never used it, as his health declined quickly. It sat in the same spot until this past week. I had never seen it, and did not know it was there.

At the auction, it was bid up to $1400 and was a no sale. The family was wanting $2000. Later, it was put up again and I think it brought either $1500 or $1600. They sold it because they just wanted to move on with their lives. The father passed away several years back, and the mother soon after my mom.

Ollie did run, but the son-in-law had it running off a lawnmower gas tank. The tractor tank was full of crud. It would need new tires like mine. I did see some welded parts. If I did not have 2 Longs of similar size I woulda jumped on it. We were told the pto and lift worked. I asked the SIL if he had put any implements on the lift. but he had not.

The feller that bought it, and made me pay too much for the SA was from Denton, NC, home of the big threshers' reunion around Independence Day. He, wife, and maybe a son had brought a one ton flat bed truck and a 16 to 20 ft. trailer. They probably bought 30 to 40% of what was sold. I figure much of it will be resold at the threshers reunion.

When the SA sold, the auctioneer, whom I have known most of my life, remarked that it was gonna stay in the community and move up the road just a bit. Tht kinda made me feel good, even though I think it woulda been a little less expensive if things had been different. I look at it this way, what Mrs. Jim and I spent yesterday will stay here and help out neighbors. That can be a good thing. Sorry for the long answer Bob. :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Well Jim I sure am glad you got the lift arms and even gladder( if that's a word) you got the tractor with them. I looked at the auction site you posted a couple of days ago and said to myself I bet he buys that super A if it don't go to high. Looks like a good tractor and from the looks of the intake that has been a distillate model in time. I may be wrong but it looks like it has the newer style cultivators on it also and a deluxe seat. Its got the engine temp gage to and you don't see many of those.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Well Jim I sure am glad you got the lift arms and even gladder( if that's a word) you got the tractor with them. I looked at the auction site you posted a couple of days ago and said to myself I bet he buys that super A if it don't go to high. Looks like a good tractor and from the looks of the intake that has been a distillate model in time. I may be wrong but it looks like it has the newer style cultivators on it also and a deluxe seat. Its got the engine temp gage to and you don't see many of those.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah Jimmie, don't it just bug you when an item you would very much like, gets bid up way too high for your set spending limit.
Last week just down the road a mile (auction) was one of those 200 gallon rubbermaid water troughs that I had my eye on for what I thought I'd spend $50.00, - WRONG, - darn thing went for $125.00. I wanted it for that process of using a battery charge & baking soda to take off paint.
Did I mention I'm a cheap skate & want to get my stuff real cheap, & for the limit I planed on spending. Looks like I'll need to save up more for the next time I see one for sale.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob Kline said:
Yeah Jimmie, don't it just bug you when an item you would very much like, gets bid up way too high for your set spending limit.
Last week just down the road a mile (auction) was one of those 200 gallon rubbermaid water troughs that I had my eye on for what I thought I'd spend $50.00, - WRONG, - darn thing went for $125.00. I wanted it for that process of using a battery charge & baking soda to take off paint.
Did I mention I'm a cheap skate & want to get my stuff real cheap, & for the limit I planed on spending. Looks like I'll need to save up more for the next time I see one for sale.
Hey Bob, hopefully we "cheapskates" will still be doing this and enjoying it for a long time. Working to be one gives us inspiration to keep trying. I had seen a few SAs the last few years in the same price range as this one, and this one was a little more unique as Gordon mentioned. knowing that it spent most of its life in one place and knowing the owner made it an easier decision.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the serial number today as best I can. Some numbers were hard to read. The tag number is 324366, and block number is 324470. There was a "D" stamped on the block, so it was initially a distillate model. The 1952 models began with 324470, so it should be a very late 1951 model I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts