Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going through a old box of pictures last night and found some old pictures of setting tobacco.

I remember this evening my wife, dad and myself went down and helped my inlaws finish setting tobacco. They were giving several days rain and they wanted to finish up.
My father in law and myself pulled plants and flunkied while Dad, Melinda, and her mother set.

Heres Little Red the way he spent his life on the farm. This is the one we did a post on earlier fixing for my father in law.

Times like these are times I miss. That was a crop we all grew up on and although a lot of hard work I don't think I will ever not wish we were still raising.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Been there Gordon and done it all. I raised my own plants and spent many hours alone pullin' plants. I began to buy my plants from greenhouse growers in the late 1990s. It became harder and harder to get methyl bromide for gassing beds, and the price went up greatly for several years. I could also plant more at a time with greenhouse plants so it took fewer days to plant the crop. As you know, we grew flue-cured baccer, but planted it the same as yall's burley. We did skip every fifth row for harvesting and spraying.

Remember the days of pullin' plants and storin' them during a wet spell until it got dry enuff to get back into the field? Then having to throw them away if they were kept too long. :roll: :( Greenhouse plants eliminated that chore.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I miss them times also Gordon . did a lot of it till I was 30 and quit farming but it never gets out your blood. good pictures thanks for shareing ;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
No tobacco up this way Gordon, it's all greek to us in this part of Missouri. Looks like its a bit labor intensive. I understand something getting in your blood like you say. Good pictures.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Thanks Gordan for those pics,brings back good memory. I have done it all from set off setter ,to help hang in the barn ,getting it down out of barn and stripping & tieing hands . Lots of work :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for posting. I still love the smell of tobbaco hanging in a barn.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We always used a hand setter. Large metal tube that held water and a smaller tube that held the sets. When you plunged the setter into the ground and pulled the trigger the bottom opened and let the set drop out and gave it a shot of water. Took at least two to operate, one to put the sets in and one to operate the setter. If you were lucky a third would carry water so you didn't have to stop so often. Lots of hard work!

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
bikerdave said:
We always used a hand setter. Large metal tube that held water and a smaller tube that held the sets. When you plunged the setter into the ground and pulled the trigger the bottom opened and let the set drop out and gave it a shot of water. Took at least two to operate, one to put the sets in and one to operate the setter. If you were lucky a third would carry water so you didn't have to stop so often. Lots of hard work!
Dave, lots of tobacco was planted locally by hand when I was young. I was mostly the plant and water toter. I was pretty "stout" as my grandaddy would say, so I was the "gopher" in the field.
Neighbors helped each other. There would be as many as a half dozen hand setters going at a time, then another farmer's crop would be planted the next day.

Slowly the mechanical or tractor planters came. A couple of farmers bought 'em, and in addition to their own, were hired to plant the crops of others.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to think everone for the comments. Tobacco around here raised a lot of families, paid for a lot of farms and was pretty much just a way of life. When I was in school you got two weeks excused absences to house tobacco for your family or to make extra money. I heard a man say one time it was the only 9 month crop that took 14 months to raise and there were times I think he was right but in all honesty some of the best memories I have came while working in it. One of the best times was stripping not because I liked it because it was my least favorite but the whole family would be there along with several older men in the community and the stories that would be told of days gone by that are priceless and I will never forget. Then would come the yearly argument when me or one of my cousins would ask grandpa what time it was and he would pull his Gruen very thin pocket watch out of his overhauls that he bought off his older brother Sherman in the 50's and as far as he knew had never gained or lost a minute and would anounce the time and then his older brother would pull out his Hamilton his son bought him and they would always be five minutes different and the fun began. Grandpa gave me that Greun and fob before he died and I have had it for many years now and I guess I'll have to say he was right don't think it has gained or lost a minute. Funny what you remember sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Thanks Gordon, and you just brought up another memory of the past...pocket watches. Most all the farmers I remember carried one.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah Gordon, I was generally the gopher or set dropper. Too small for the planter. I left the farm in fifty eight, but I still remember the work. Now it seems like fun, back then it was hard WORK!

·
Registered
103 Posts
plant beds you just had to love them,

before they came out with the gas powered weed eaters we would use a old push mower and a ladder to mow the plants , ( tie mower to ladder and walk the beds several times untill you got it mowed) at least once a year and often many more times if it was a wet spring,

my grandad was a true old timer and we were still burning plant beds long after everyone esle was gassing them, and i spent many a day on my knees pulling weeds from among the small plants.

i was out of the tobacco buisness before greenhouse plants

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Most any veggie plant will work in them if it isn't too leafy. I have planted many maters and sweet tater slips with a hand backer setter :!:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Just got home from ST MARY CITY in Md and as soon as I get the time want to post some pics of a tobacco operation that was fom around 1640's Thought about you guys when was there and boy was it interesting. Just give me a day or two and I'll have them up.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Just got home from ST MARY CITY in Md and as soon as I get the time want to post some pics of a tobacco operation that was fom around 1640's Thought about you guys when was there and boy was it interesting. Just give me a day or two and I'll have them up.
Posted a couple tobacco pics over on crops section of an area that started production aroun 1640.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts