Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I got a new to me 9n. it looks to be an early one, at least early in 1940. smooth axles, double ribbed fenders with lots of rivets... you get the idea. apparently, the guy before me was going along pretty well when he left straight water in it and it cracked. anyone out there welding blocks? I would be willing to either brighten it to you, or ship it. I am in the DFW Texas area, and anything under 500 in one direction with a day turn arround would be top notch. help? please? I dont know where to go with this, and I really want to use this block when I get it running.
Brown Wood Door Brick Door handle
Brown Wood Door Brick Door handle

·
Administrator
4,589 Posts
I would think that any machine shop worth their salt should be able to weld or braze a crack in cast iron.
It's not a load bearing spot other than holding about 4-7 psi of liquid.
I have seen lots of little Fords here in KY with a crack welded at or near that same spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, I will look around and see if I can find a good welder. I can hang a weld or two in steel and even a bit of tig on aluminum, but this for some reason kind of scares me. anyone know about this low heat welding you see advertised? it looks like a low heat brazing with a silver rod, but silver ain't cheep anymore.... so? how are they doing it? might be exactly what I need here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you, I will look around and see if I can find a good welder. I can hang a weld or two in steel and even a bit of tig on aluminum, but this for some reason kind of scares me. anyone know about this low heat welding you see advertised? it looks like a low heat brazing with a silver rod, but silver ain't cheep anymore.... so? how are they doing it? might be exactly what I need here.
Brazing's the best but the old timer trick was to use sand in box and controlled heat to get the cast and brazing to cool at the same rate to stop separations so I was told,Old Indian trick I learned it from and old Indian my Dad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts