Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a guess, but we have had about 3 inches of rain the last 2 days. It will be several days before we can get into hayfields and the veggie fields. The problem is that veggies were starting to come up nicely, and I fear rotting and fertilizer leaching problems. Now the grass and weeds will come while we need to be getting hay made. We have had three years of the same rerun. In about 10 days to 2 weeks, I expect summer and 90+ degree temps if the pattern holds true. :roll:

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Two inches found their way into my rain gauge over the weekend. Sun finally came out just before it went down after a cool, cloudy day yesterday.
I've got about a third of a hayfield (3 acres) in wet windrows from where the weatherguessers missed it Saturday. I checked every weather outlet from
Accuweather to all the local channels, and nobody was calling for rain until after dark Saturday, all week and, even into Saturday morning. Sure enough
about 2:30 in the afternoon here it came. :roll: Apparently hay drying on the ground must speed up rain clouds. ;) It'll be Wednesday before I can get back into the fields.
We planted more green beans and corn Thursday which was the first day the garden was dry enough to work since the 1 1/4" of rain we had the previous
Friday night. Now I have to wait for it to dry and go replant the beans that washed out from the 2" this weekend. Which will most likely be this Thursday.
Anyway, you're right Jim. It seems that the past couple Months of May have been so wet where if you didn't have what you wanted planted, or harvested,
you waited until June. Last year my renter couldn't get into the back 20 acre field across the creek until the end of June, first of July, because it was so
wet. Also had a lot of erosion damage from the high water of the creek, and we did quite a bit of back filling washout holes in the field.
I tend to agree with your Summer forecast, I expect at least five to eight degrees above normal if the pattern holds. Putting us upwards of 90's after Memorial day.;)

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, we have had a lot of erosion too. I haven't been over to the other farm, but I already know what to expect based upon what I have seen here. My brother mowed a little hay last Thursday a day after rain and rolled it on Saturday, but it's gotta be damp. I guess much of mine will turn to straw again. It's been at least 3 years since I have been able to mow at the right time.
When and if these veggies get up, the ground will bake out and they will suffer form heat stress if I am right. It's gettin' a lil' harder to do this each year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts