Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thel's early 47 A long nose has two tanks and two sets of lines for fuel....I have seen it but dont know why on some and not others but...should the cap closest to the driver be red since it was a dual fuel tractor???

·
Registered
104 Posts
For the older unstyled all fuel tractors, the rear and smaller tank (for starting the engine) was for gas and thus a red cap, the larger tank and more forward was for distillate and a green cap. Some argue that both should be red just to indicate fuel, but John Deere had one green and one red.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Rear tank is red cap. That was the gas tank. Front tank was the distilate tank or Kerosene.

The later model A's starting in Mid 47 were available as either all fuel tractors or regular gas. That is why you see it both ways.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay Thanks fella's I will be painting Thels rear cap red then wen I start touching up the rest of the tractor ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol: I know you meant Farmall red right????? :lol:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lovesthedrive said:
missouri massey man said:
Hey Derick, the more red you get on it, the better it will run.... :lol: :lol:
Well heck, my tractor had the head planed by a MF guy and it does run pretty good.
Well....their red and gray right!? :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
You gotta have pity on them red folks, poor misguided souls, they don't know no better.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alabamafrog said:
You gotta have pity on them red folks, poor misguided souls, they don't know no better.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I first posted some pics of the A that I just bought Johndeerefan noticed right off that the rear cap was not red. This bothered me too. So today it got a Valspar paint job. Looks way better don't you think, oh and no it's not Farmall Red. Sorry for jacking your thread Derick but I thought since there was a thread titled fuel cap that I would just post here.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hawk4932 said:
When I first posted some pics of the A that I just bought Johndeerefan noticed right off that the rear cap was not red. This bothered me too. So today it got a Valspar paint job. Looks way better don't you think, oh and no it's not Farmall Red. Sorry for jacking your thread Derick but I thought since there was a thread titled fuel cap that I would just post here.
Did u see the pics of our tractor? I posted them today

1 - 14 of 14 Posts