Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been around New Gens ever since I've been in diapers. I was born in '64, Dad had a 4010 and a 3020; in '66 he bought another 4020 and that old gal is still gracing the barn. Now, all that said, that '66 has never had a fuel gauge problem, and the others never worked to my knowledge but since they were gassers nobody cared. When a tractor stopped moving, someone would show up with a gas can or the propane trailer, and back on the move LOL.

This 2020 I recently adopted (after a reasonable adoption fee) is missing the wire from the sending unit. I can't even find where the nub comes out of any loom anywhere. Is that wire direct from the non-hot side of the gauge? In other words, if I run a wire from the gauge's sensing post to the tank, and both ends are still working, will that make me have a working fuel gauge, or will I let the magic smoke out of something?

I'm going out there now and see if I can hook the float with a piece of baling wire and see if the resistance changes as I move the float up and down, and ensure that the gauge has 12v to it, I just wanted to toss this up on the board before going out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Complete open on the sending unit from its terminal to ground. Guess one of those is in the future if I'm to have a working gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did this on a 4010 and it can get confusing, especially if you have a positive ground system. The sending unit should have around 30 ohms resistance when the tank is full. If it's empty, it'll be around 0 ohms. I bought a new sender and gauge to be on the safe side, and the new sender gave me 0 ohms until I took it out again and checked the resistance while manually moving the arm when it then started showing varying resistance- I have no idea why. I also ordered a new gauge from eBay and the seller first sent me a negative ground gauge. That messed with my head for a while until I tested it as much as I could and came to the conclusion that it was the wrong one. After sending it back and getting the right gauge (thankfully the seller was easy to deal with), things started working.

And to answer your original question: yes, as far as I was able to tell it's just a simple wire between the sensing post on the gauge and the post on the sending unit. There isn't anything fancy between them. The gauge just reads the resistance and translates that into fuel level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts