Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

A John Deere model H has recently come into my possession, and I'm trying to get it running again.

I hear it was last started 5-10 years ago: The crankshaft still turns but it seems fuel isn't reaching the carburetor.

Looking into the gas/fuel tanks makes me assume corrosion has plugged the drain holes, might there an easy way to clean/flush the tanks?

Also, might there be automotive equivalents for the air, fuel, and oil filters? There aren't many places to find tractor parts in my area, and those I've found don't seem to carry anything for vintage models. There are several car part shops near me that might be a better option if compatible parts are still made.

(I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know much about engines aside from rebuilding one in high school Shop class over a decade ago.)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Unscrew the fuel line from the carburetor. Make sure the tank switching valve is turned to the main fuel tank. Make sure the fuel shutoff is opened up on the top of the sediment bowl. If no fuel is coming through the line, try gently blowing some compressed air up through the line. If there is some trash blocking
the fuel, this should clear it. If the tank looks like it has a lot of varnish, or a bunch of rust in it, I would take it off and let a local radiator shop boil it out for me, but if it looks fairly good in there, you can keep running fuel through it, catch it in a bucket, and filter it back through. Ive done that before on some not so bad tanks.
That tractor has an oil bath air filtering system, so no paper air filter. just dump the oil from the cup, clean
and refill it back up to the line. If you have an older auto parts store in your area, they can match up the oil filter, or you can order one online. These new auto parts stores, at least around here, are lost most of the time. A napa store may be your best bet, as I believe they still can cross reference oil filter numbers.
you can find the operators, owners, and parts manuals on ebay. They help a lot, and are well worth getting, as they take you through servicing, and maintaining your H tractor.
If there are no places close to get vintage tractor parts, then These guys are a good place to order them.
Steiner Tractor Parts | New Restoration Parts For Antique Tractors | Buy Vintage Tractor Parts > Home
They also have staff members that can point you in the right direction, as to ordering the right parts if you call them by phone.
Welcome to ATF. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
just went through that on my allis wd45. rust and scale in tank. i removed tank dropped in a handful of nuts& bolts. some tide liquid a little h2o shook the heck out of it for a few days, worked really well. have to tape off any openings. good luck. new here myself. good people & advice. welcome

1 - 4 of 4 Posts