Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Talking about sawmills and antique tractors at lunch with a carpenter on the jobsite last week, he asked if I knew anyone interested in an '08 '09 Galloway. Turns out it was his grandfathers and was mounted on a Galloway saw rig until he inherited it from the estate 20 years ago.

Yep, it came home with me...unloading it with an old 4500 Ford to sit on steel horses for a while. Unfortunately he took the engine and gave away the saw rig when he got it... :cry:

Here it will have to sit until time allows...It is very secure on these sturdy horses with the original grease/oil soaked wooden base that mounted to the saw rig.

The engine is totally complete as far as I can tell. Very good compression and nothing broken or stuck. Now its time to begin getting information on this old boy.

It still has the original gas tank, though needing some repair to the solder joints.

A pretty good shot of the other side...Well, now I have it totally covered and protected from the elements waiting in line for his turn in the shop.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Wow, that is cool

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oops, I forgot these shots...and I said nothing was broke, but actually the bottom fitting off this oiler is broken. :(

Lunkenheimer one quart oiler...hopefully the fitting is available... the rest looks good though. A little dirty, but hey !!!

Still has the original brass strainer in the oiler. I don't know for sure, but I think this is a different oiler than what came on it because
of the two street 45's that this was piped into. That doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to many irons said:
what kind of oil would it use ?
I'm on the learning stage of these old dogs, but I'm assuming 30 wt non detergent in the summer and maybe 20 wt in the winter...??? It drips onto the top of the piston skirt when the piston is to the back then to the bottom of the cylinder when the piston is forward.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice find, too bad about the saw rig, the homebrew stuff that goes with these engines is sometimes more interesting than the manufactured stuff. How about a little more about the 4500? , I have one in my shop right now, doing the head on the 210 D ,

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CASENWV said:
Nice find you have there, do you have another oiler for the cylinder?

Jim
Yes, my SIL found one for $17 at an antique store, though a tad smaller. The site glasses are identical on both and will unscrew and interchange. Good to go !!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got to thinking about something.......the oiler you have for the Galloway, it is a cylinder oiler correct?? With the vented check ball?

Jim

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CASENWV said:
I got to thinking about something.......the oiler you have for the Galloway, it is a cylinder oiler correct?? With the vented check ball?

Jim
To be perfectly honest, I don't know, didn't see a check ball, but it does drop onto the piston skirt on the downstroke and on the bottom of the cylinder on the up stroke. At least that's the way it looks to me...what are you thinking ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I get home from New York I will send a pic of the cylinder oiler for my 5hp Waterloo Boy, ans I will do a quick check and make sure the oiler you have will function properly, I'm pretty sure it will......a lot of engines will get enough blowby / pressure from the cylinder that it blows the oil back up in the oiler, thats where the checkball comes in, but either way I will post some good pics of my cylinder oiler.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts