Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went with my wife to a garage sale. The people were moving so I ask about the "Lawn art" and if they were for sale and he said they were. I made an offer and came home with a bunch of stuff including an IH trip plow and a 2 row corn planter. The corn planter appears to be in good shape and complete except for the marker chains and the lids for the fertilizer hopperswith aren't original. I have to free up one rod and I think this thing will plant corn. What's nice about it is the fertilizer hopper base and the seed plate also fit my 172 farmall cub corn planter. Since I have other 3pt plows I'll probably sell this one. You just never know what you'll find at a yard sale.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea what model the corn planter is and where I might be able to get a manual for it?

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Both look really good. Adding to what John said about scrappers, Lots of things have disappeared in this area by illegal means. :x

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shorten the wood hitch shaft because of the rot at the end and took the tractor conversion lever off so it's back to a two man operation. I had harvested some taters so before I put in my beans I hooked up the planter to the High and Wide farmall cub a drug it thru the soil. It didn't do too bad. The runners are pretty well worn but I'll smooth them out as best I can and give it a go in the spring. I'm sure new runners would be a big plus but since I'm not planning a lot of corn, mostly small deer plots, I don't know if I could justify the cost of new ones, that is if you can even find them. Besides I should have my cub's 172 planter together before the spring. Basically thought it would be fun to plant corn the old way.
I also freed up the rod that works the seed hoppers and located a manual for it.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I think it looks good and I dont think those shoes will give you any problem for what you want to do. They look about like the ones on the planter we picked up and they do fine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a chance to mount a flat belt pulley on the cub and hooked it up to the corn grinder I purchsed at that same yard sale. I cracked some corn for chicken scratch and as soon as I shut the tractor off the girls ran over to help clean up. After the critters get done there probably won't be much corn left to crack. I guess I'll have to plant a lot more next year.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Obviously, the chickies are happy with your new find :!: What does the critter in the corn patch have his eye on :?: :shock:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is looking at the corn. She is standing on 3 legs with her other paw wrapped around the corn stalk. She makes one swipe and the corn is down and she lays down and eats it. This is how they flatted my corn. I have threaten her many times that if she doesn't get out of my corn I'll get the gun But just like my kids she does listin too me either.

G

·
Is that your shadow in the picture :? :? We had a set of fawn twins playing in our yard the other day. They shoo away a lil easier.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
OH my that is getting close

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
petra79 said:
Is that your shadow in the picture :? :? We had a set of fawn twins playing in our yard the other day. They shoo away a lil easier.
The shadow is from my chimmey. I was standing on the porch. She's got two cubs. They're kind of fun to watch.one would grab an ear of corn and the other one wants the same ear so they stand toe to toe and duke it out until mom looks over than they go back to feeding separately.

Kirk

G

·
Didn't think it was you but had to ask. Thats got to be fun watching them. Hopefully you planted extra corn for yourself :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Hope their kin folk don't drop by... :!: :!: :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings Kirk,
Were you ever able to identify the model number of the planter. I recently saved one from the crusher that looks identical to yours. Same hitch up front but mine is on a wooden squared tongue, not round like yours. My fertilizer bins are different, made of galvanized. I hope to restore mine and get some use out of it planting sweet corn this summer. Having set out in the weather for several + ? years prior to me purchasing it, the planter is in need of some t.l.c. I was told it appears to be a model 106 having 30 inch steel wheels, but have been unable to confirm the model number.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are a few photos of the planter. Regarding your PM the original colors are in the ad. I used an IH white (kind of cream color) instead of a straw color on the wheels and international blue for the hooppers. I can pop the hoppers off and use them on my 172 cub planter.
You can see the 3pt conversion was made with the 3pt frame and a couple of J bolts and easily goes back the original pull style. I had to shorten the post due to rot but have since gotten a nice piece of oak to replace it with.
I've used it to plant corn, peas and pumkins.
For most of the year it is a nice lawn ornament that sits in front of the house but it is a usable lawn ornament.
Any other question just send me a PM or post here.
Post some photos of your planter when you get the chance.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a pic or two of the one I picked up in November a few miles from the house. Hope mine looks as good as yours does someday.
1207151131a.jpg
1207151132.jpg
1207151133.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From the looks of your hoppers they look like the larger hopper was added to the smaller hopper so they could load the hopper and would have to carry less bags of seed out to the field. I've always seen the dual hopper like this.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88435&p=703077&hilit=planting#p703077
As far as seen plates unless you already have a bunch of them as I do it might be better to get the corn and match the corn to the seed plate chart than get the plates you need. Some of the open pollinated corn may be ungraded. The open pollinated corn could be used for seed again but if you have hybreds in your area some cross contamination may take place so your next years crop might not be as good.
I can look to see want seed plate I used for my open pollination corn but may or may not fit your corn. If you send me a few seeds I will match up the best plate for it. It will be a better fit then looking at a chart.
I see by your photo you have the tractor attachment so you won't need anybody in the seat,which you don't have. I would bolt a piece of plywood there and add a bag of sand on top it would help the presser wheels cover the dirt.
If you are going to fertilize at the same time, if your bases are good the hoppers can be bought but won't be cheap. The stainless steel ones are really nice but a cheap alternative is to cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and use that for a hopper much like the ones that were on my planter.
In your hopper base check to make sure the knocker and pawls are rust free and operate as they should.
Unlike my sweet corn I've be planting my open pollination corn in rows of 18" which has workerd out well for me.
Any other questions you can post or PM me as you have been doing.

Kirk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts