Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, these could be the pictures of the last days of the poor garden if some water doesn't find it's way here... but I thought I would share some of our progress so far this year.

Some pictures of our potatoes - all kennebec this year, we put out about 45 pounds of cut seed pieces... if it keeps up - this has been our best year yet for potatoes on our place.

Our sweet corn (bodacious) in some of the pictures you will see tobacco sticks, those are marking the hills of pumpkins (Lumina, Jack o' Lantern, Howden, and Big Max) that we planted the week before these were taken (about a week ago.) We've never done it, but we thought it would be worth a try to let them grow in the corn and see if the shading might help some - I've read and talked to numerous people who have a lot of faith in this practice, so we'll see, I have hope.

Our onions... the row on the left are the "cheap" sets that I bought through a local supplier of assorted red/yellow/white - we set out about 8 pounds. The row on the right is the row of "Candy" sweet onions that we ordered through Dixondale Farms. While slower to come in the ones that made it are doing very well (2nd picture.)

And a few early onions -they seem to be doing really well for as early in the summer as it is...

And now... some of the rewards. Some may laugh at the overalls, and they may not be what I wear out and about - but to work in they are ideal! Very comfortable and they breathe - as well as keep the mess off of everything else. I can see why they are as popular as they are. The back of Dad's tahoe contains 4 bushels of turnips, and all of the radishes that we hadn't gotten to yet... he was happy when I pulled up :lol:

Trimming...

Leads to happy goats!

Last but not least, this was a first... but it is Kohlrabi. I have no idea of anything concerning this other than what I've read... but we thought we would give it a shot and see what happened. It's the early white vienna variety...

We also have out about 30 Goliath Tomato plants, 30 pepper plants (assorted,) squash, beans, cushaws, carrots, melons, and cukes... but for some reason we did not get any good pictures of them. I'll update if we ever get some rain - as you can see, it is much needed down here.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
With that nice looking garden ,I sure hope you get rain really soon. Got a great start on things,thanks for sharing those good pics.

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
Really nice lookin' garden Brandon. Your right though, if we don't get some rain it's gonna be a slack harvest.
I see your sweet corn already showing some heat stress, and the next six days of forecast 100+ temps aren't going to do it good.
Enjoy what you've got out of it so far, and pray for rain. They've already cancelled their slight chance of rain here for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Betty and Dave! That means a lot coming from you guys - as I know you're quite experienced with this. And Dave, I know you can relate to the stress of the rain that continually seems to be cancelled out the day after they think it's going to get here... but it is one thing that's just beyond our control - and truth be told, that's probably a good thing. I've heard rumors of there being a decent chance next weekend (after the 4th) so lets hope it holds... it could use it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great looking garden, you're right on top of things. Kennebec is our main crop potato as well, and a good potato year here also.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Phil. The potato year has been really good so far considering the lack of moisture, still can't quite wrap my head around it... but I will take what I can get. I appreciate the kind words.

·
Super Moderator
8,540 Posts
Brandon, your garden looks great and is not beyond helping with a good rain. Your hard work shows in the cleanliness of your rows. I have been wanting to post some pics of my stuff, but drying veggies ain' very pretty. :( Much of it is beyond help I believe.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jimmy, concerning the clean rows - I appreciate that. I owe them to dad though, I may have done the grunt work... but he instilled the confidence in me that a good Farmall 100 (or any culti-vision tractor) and a sharp hoe or two would be ample weed control for it... and he was right. When I was wanting to spray, he urged me the other direction, and now... with a greater understanding for the capabilities of the Farmall and a greater appreciation for the sharpness of a hoe - I'm so glad that I heeded his wisdom. It's a bit of work, but it's a sick and twisted therapy in a way :lol: If the garden dries up and blows away tomorrow, I can safely say that I have gained more knowledge and confidence in what I was doing this year than any year before. I hope next year yields even more... that being said, I too pray that we see some decent rainfall soon... maybe then some of my fertilize that was sidedressed in a month ago will have a chance to work :lol: I think you should post some pictures of your's Jimmy - I put my dried salad up... rainfall is one of the big things that we can't control on our crops - but we can still show our hard work and what we are trying to accomplish.
Ron - thank you very much, it's been a learning experience and it's far from over. I appreciate your prayers for the rain, I think most of us could use it right now, but on a lighter note, it has been a lot worse before.. we will get through this.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Looks like a nice sized garden!!! Looks alot better then mine, we had to do alot of replanting and some never got planted :(

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! So far, we've had about .2" of rain... not nearly enough but I will take whatever I can get. Somehow it's producing quite well - despite the dry earth and sad looks of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts