Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we're beginning to get some zuchini and cucumbers from the garden. Tomatoes are loaded, but still green. Sweet corn is about 3' tall and tasseling. Green beans are gowning very slowly. Peppers have some on but are going slow also. We've been eating zuchinni for about a week, have our first cucumbers last night for supper :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Steve my garden is about like yours . Some things growing slow.
We have zucchini, yellow squash, lettuce , cukes , cabbage, onions
potatoes. Corn is tall also and lettuce still on. Beans ready to pick a
mess.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
This has been one of the oddest years in the garden I can remember. Just seems like nothing is balanced like it usually is.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
gordon1121 said:
This has been one of the oddest years in the garden I can remember. Just seems like nothing is balanced like it usually is.
Have to agree. Everything looks good but running about 2 weeks slow. Peas did the best in years but can't seem to get any squash? Guess all will come in time.

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Most of what's left in my garden is in the almost ready stage. Maters are starting to turn, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower are making heads.
I'll have fresh roastin' ears, (if the deer don't come back, :roll: ) and maters for the Fourth of July celebration. If it dries up enough to get in the garden, ;)
My green beans drown and had to be replanted, and are just coming in bloom. The later corn is looking good. Pumpkins and melons are running and blooming.

Gordon, it's been an odd growing season around here for recent times. I say recent times. :? More like Spring that I remember from my childhood.
Seems like after the two blizzards in '77 and '78, the climate around here changed. Spring started giving way to Summer quicker, and Fall has lingered
well into Winter. I remember several of Mom's and Grandma's gardens that I had to wade the mud to clean, up until July, but not many of mine.

·
Super Moderator
8,584 Posts
Corn is way behind, probably 3 weeks away. We are starting to get a few maters. We picked about 2 bushels of green beans last Friday. Squash and cukes from the early plants that survived are producing, but they won't last long.

No okra to speak of, and this is very disappointing. Some melons and lopes look good, some's future is still undecided. Broccolli and most cool season stuff is winding down. Onions did well, cabbage only so so. Most heads are 2.5 to 3.5 lbs. We usually have alot in the 5 lb. range. Probably 20% of cabbage have very small heads or none at all.

We will have very few October Beans, gonna plant more, and field peas are coming but will be late too. We usually have some from July to October. but not any this year until later. We won't go hungry, but are gonna consume alot on the way to producing what nature will allow us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts