Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 1949 Allis WD from my neighbor last fall in the hopes of driving it home. He made mention when I happened to drop by about something else that he'd like to sell it right about when I was going to ask if he would be willing to sell it. He had converted it to the wide front and also converted the rear to a 3-point. He had drained all of the fluids the previous winter and was checking to ensure the engine still turned while I was taking pictures.

I asked him if it runs and he said, "Well, yeah. It did when I parked it over a year ago." :lol: I had been chatting with him and my brother, the gentleman farmer, about tractors. Both stated that tractor engines are so sturdy that they can be parked for years and will fire up with some fresh gas.

Jerry gave me the shop manual that goes with the tractor. The plan was to pull the fuel tank and take it to get boiled and checked for leaks, clean the sediment bowl and install a new O-ring, clean the carburetor, and then bring her home. As it turns out:

I had dumped some Marvel Mystery down each bore and put about 5-gallons of gas in it along with 2 gallons of coolant. As you can see, the fuel bowl screen and assembly were clogged with debris. I disassembled the fuel bowl assy and soaked it in a bucket of Berryman Carb cleaner. I took the fuel tank to a radiator shop to have it boiled, acid cleaned, and sealed.

The tractor did turn over when I hooked up a battery. He gave me the starter that was on it when he bought it, which I plan to tear down to rebuild. I thought the lower radiator hose was cracked as it leaked from the fresh coolant. I ordered new plug wires, a new belt, new radiator hoses, and a new sediment filter and fuel bowl gasket.

The radiator shop of cleaning the tank and also soldered some pinholes discovered after the acid bath. I took it to a paint & body guy who recently retired from the Navy. He media blasted and primed it with epoxy primer. I'll installed it like this on the tractor for now with my long term plan to paint it proper when I get to that stage.

"Before" pictures of the carburetor.

Carburetor all cleaned up.

The Beast. This is a heavy duty mower.

Some hammer work and a bushing for this lighter gauge mower. I paid less for both than what people on Craigslist want for the second one in the same condition.

I visited my brother John, up in Wisconsin, back in March. His friend, Roger, went through my carburetor for me. It turns out the carb I have is for a combine and it could possibly be two carbs pieced together. He said that was not an issue as he'd probably do the same thing if needed. He explained that the advantage of the carb I have is the fuel bowl drain.

During my trip, I visited a tractor place that sells a lot of Allis parts on e-Bay. I scored a seat pan, muffler, rain cap, seat shock & bushings, and a steering column bracket. The one guy drives all over looking for tractors to buy, and two guys back at the barn tear them down. They have a good system, are well organized, and are very knowledgeable.

The main focus of my trip was to pick up the Allis front loader frame, manure bucket, and snow bucket, that John found for me on Craigslist. The snow bucket measures 82" wide. No wonder John wanted to trade something for it. I'm hoping we get a vicious snow storm next year as I figure I could clear my entire road inside of two hours with that thing.

The 5-gallon buckets are filled with chains that my other brother Keith, who is a mechanic for Cassens, gave him. John also gave me a 3-point boom. All I need now is an angle blade and a 3-point auger.

Here is the carburetor after painting and Roger's work:

I tried several times, and with several batteries, to get the tractor to start, and nothing. Replacing the starter solenoid didn't even work. I finally decided to call my ex, who has a 4x4, to help pull it out of where it had sunk into the ground and tow it home. The trip was uneventful save for the right front wheel being flat. It's nice that all we had to do was go down one hill and then up another before parking it next to my garage. We accomplished this latest evolution this past Wednesday (4/24).

Yesterday, I tested the starter from the tractor by connecting it directly to a battery. John was on the phone with me and he could hear it giving a good, strong whine. I checked around the 'Net for Allis related starter issues and discovered that sometimes the contacts in the starter button are worn, so perhaps rotating the contact would help. Well, that was a great idea until I accidentally destroyed the bushing that insulates the post from the starter button housing.

As you can see, the gasket has seen better days as well. I have both a phone message and e-mail inquiry to Nations Auto Electric
for replacement parts. I've dealt with them before and the company is fantastic. They walked me through rebuilding the starter on my 1997 Dodge pickup, and the price for parts, plus shipping, was under $20. Back then they said they can get parts for anything, so we'll see what happens with this old Delco-Remy unit.

Meanwhile, I decided to tear further into the tractor to fix was I suspect is a leaking thermostat housing gasket. It turns out that the radiator was leaking water and I believe the water pump is the culprit (which I previously blamed on the lower radiator hose).

I removed the radiator shell with the radiator to discover some shoddy repair work as well as cracks in the lower legs of the shell. I removed the lift arms as well so I could get the lift ball links freed from being rusted into place. The adjustment mechanisms are frozen, which I plan to free using a mixture of ATF mixed with acetone.

I was also able to remove the broken muffler pipe from the exhaust manifold. Here's the link to my Photobucket album where you can view additional pictures of various pieces in need of repair or replacement: http://s160.photobucket.com/user/VWandDodge/library/Tractor?sort=3&page=1

My main goal for now is to get this beast running so I can tend to a series of projects I have lined up for the summer. Once winter rolls around, my plan is to tear it completely apart for a resto-mod build. I am already buying replacement bits and pieces for this. Oh, I also scored a nice, used dual hydraulic spool so I can modify the front loader for both lift and hydraulic dump action.

Whew! It's a long into and I am looking forward to input and some technical assistance as I progress.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Very nice post & pictures..love reading it..

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Gary,
The pictures are great! Glad you are bringing this WD back to life. It will run, gas, spark and compression and they have to run!
We will need to talk as I get back into the WD that is apart in the garage. Your loader is Allis for sure. Spent many hours working one of these on the farm. Mostly we cleaned barns, but also had a snow blade and the loaded worked good for that too.
Your fenders are very nice. The rebuilt carb is a work of art. Tank is now ready to go, Not sure I will go that far, but my tank probably needs that too. Rusty tanks can stop flow at any moment. I might need that fellows name and number that has the parts tractors. My front grill is in about the same condition as yours. needs work.
Glad you got it home.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone. It's quite a process and like my brother said, working on these old tractors is much more fun than cars. Everything is easy to reach and simple to disassemble. Plus, tractors are just plain fun.

I've been going back and forth between repairing the radiator versus a new replacement since I've seen new for $260 and higher. I did locate a new radiator on e-Bay, with a one-year warranty (seems to be the norm) for $239 plus $15 shipping. That's a darned good price which I believe I may have to jump all over. By chance does anyone here have experience with the current replacements?

I am still amazed that not one nut or bolt broke when being removed. One of the radiator bolts was badly rotted, yet I was able to unscrew it without any issues.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Gary,
Sounds like a good value on the new radiator. Got to have one of those!
I agree most of the bolts come out OK. I only had trouble with a couple.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Nice looking tractor. If you have a decent Napa store in town they may have that starter switch, or be able to get it in a day or so.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
If you do the whole tractor like you've done the gas tank and carb, the whole thing will be a work of art !!!! Excellent start on an excellent project. Keep up the good work and we all love a good story to go with it....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Excellent project! thanks for alll the pics and you really have a great starting point with that WD

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Nice tractor, and nice job so far on you're way to getting it running.
Good luck, and have fun with it. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I snapped up the radiator last night and it should arrive by Friday. I forgot that I need to buy the mounting pads as well. What I really need to do is make a list of items to order and get them all at once. Some for now and others for the winter teardown. I hate buying parts in a piecemeal fashion.

Here are some more pictures:

The broken exhaust pipe has been removed from the exhaust manifold. Once again, I was able to unscrew the rotted nut & bolt albeit with some penetrant and heat from a propane torch applied.

Some deposits in the cooling passage:

The thermostat housing has seen better days. I'm going to have it media blasted and powder coated.

The front of the engine with the protective layer of grease & dirt.

I need some input. Is the air cleaner pipe correct? I don't understand why that bracket is bolted to it.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Gary,
This looks just about like mine, protective grease and all. I don't think that is the correct air cleaner top. Mine has a little mushroom shaped cap.
Your radiator hose connection looks a little better than mine. Good snag on the new radiator!
You are disassembled to about the same place as me. I do have both side frames off.
Keep those pictures coming.
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
I agree with Chris on the air cleaner. Mines a mushroom too. (I like the pics too) :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
protective grease.. I just caught that.

my farmall c had plenty of protective grease on it when i pulled the front of the engine off.

had to pressure wash some parts it was so thick!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would appreciate it if someone could post a picture of the air cleaner set up from his Allis. I know the stock cap is mushroom shaped, it just never dawned on me that I had a different set-up every time I glanced through a parts page (website) and then looked at my tractor.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Gary,
Probably many pictures on here. I may have some on my thread on the "WD was dads".
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sugarmaker said:
Gary,
Probably many pictures on here. I may have some on my thread on the "WD was dads".
Regards,
Chris

Chris,

I went back through your thread again and found what I needed:

It appears the Allis WD air cleaner is short and topped with a mushroom. I was concerned there was an additional length of pipe. So, it looks like I need to add a mushroom to the parts list.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts