Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my old plastic gas cans are rotted and starting to leak so I was trying to get around these newfangled gas can laws that I just found out about and I found these military style metal Jerry cans on Sportsmans Guides website. I bought 6 of them and 3 nozzles, like well over $200 worth. I tried them out today, 5 of the 6 leaked out of the lid both with and without the nozzles. They are very poorly made, rough exposed seems, cheap and crappy everything.
(Below is a video of how bad they leak, and this is one of the better ones);
Anybody know where to get a decent gas can these days???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm needing is one diesel and one gas can for each of 3 trucks and a gas and 2 stroke mix can for my lawn maintenance trailer. I don't want to go over 5 gallons cause I want it to not be too heavy. I liked my old rectangular plastic cans, I could lay them on the hoods of the tractors and walk away while they emptied, didn't have to worry about them scratching or spilling or falling off. Too bad big brother decided we couldn't have a “normal” gas can anymore, darn Comifornians.
I remember the old round metal cans we had when I was a kid, they were tough but I hated how heavy they were to hold over my head while they very slowly filled the tractor, felt like my arms would fall off. I was raised to not even consider letting them touch the hoods.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
You might be able to bootleg some out of Canada. that's where we had to go to get 3 gal toilets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh wow, I thought that it was just us over here in California that had to use these crappy gas cans. A lot of guys around here go to motorcycle/atv shops and get the tall plastic "water" jugs that have the long clear nozzle tube........you just have to remember that they are only to be filled with "water". ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do a search on YouTube about gas cans. Everyone is complaining about the new ones so there are a lot of people out there that are changing or modifying the spouts and vents to mke them better. thats about the only thing you can do.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Nice thing about the plastic used for the can. If you wanted, you can drill and tap a hole for 1/8" NPT and put a radiator drain valve in for the vent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I finally sent the cheapo fake military cans back to Sportsmans Guide today. Yesterday I broke down and bought one of the new government mandated 1.25 gallon cans for my 2 stroke gas. The girl at the tractor supply register laughed and wished me luck, she said everyone she knows that buys one winds up fighting with it and/or using a funnel. Every time I think the government couldn’t get any worse they find new ways to make my life more complicated. Oh well, I'll just take my gas can refund and buy more beans and bullets.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
I use one of the small cans for my trimmer. The filler doesnt work correctly anymore. I dont even have to work the nozzle. When I tip it to the trimmer, it usually only dispenses a pint. Thats all I need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts