Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
popped a fuel filter oring on my 99 7.3 diesel going down the hiway the other day.

lost a few gallons of diesel.. it was gushing all over the top of the engine and eng compartment.

I've washed her 2x..a nd will strip the hood underside pad off tomorrow.. it's saturated and a gonner..

gotta get the fuems outta the truck.

the plastic grill around the windshield wipers wher ethe vent for the truck is stinks too.

gonna mix up some dish and laundry soap and purple stuff ( mild to protect paint ) and hit it again.. and take it to the carwash that has the hot water wand and sudy foam spray on soap...

anyone got any ideas?

gets stuffy driving with windows up and no vent or ac.. but if windows are down or vent / ac on.. you get high from diesel fumes.. :)

G

·
Thats a bummer. Diesel fuel is hard to get rid of the smell. There is a brand of cleaner out there called "Oil Eater". Not sure how it will work on diesel fuel but its the only stuff I found to get the smell of old and burnt hydraulic fluid out of my work clothes. If you can't find it in small quantity, call me and I'll send you a small bottle.

http://www.oileater.com/index.html

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll take a look down here.. we migth have something like that. will let ya'll know how it unfolds.

i called ford about the pad.. 200$ ugh.. might see if a junkyard has one :)

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Coincidence!! :?: Just yesterday the gasket on my F250 fuel filter started leaking. Went into the garage and smelled strong fuel odor.
Found a big puddle under the truck. What looked like a gasket with an o-ring molded in the outside, for a filter top gasket was drooling fuel.
It had been on the truck since early Sept. I changed oil, and all the filters at that time. I don't remember where I got the filter, but it wasn't
the same as I got from NAPA to replace it. I put some oil dry down to soak up the fuel. I'll finish cleaning this afternoon. I've still got some
cleaner/degreaser I used at work. It's labeled as a company brand so I don't know who makes it, but it works well to clean most anything. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you talking about the O-ring for the water drain or the actual filter gasket? my 99 would dump fuel everytime I shut it off. It was really odd. It would dump it out of the water drain only when it was shut off and didn't leak a drop when it was running.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on my 99, it was the funny triangle shaped oring that goes under the plastic cap between that and the aluminum housing.

well.. i pulled the pad off and lunch and have it laid out on the concrete soaking in dish soap and purple stuff. it's probably a gonner.. but i will see how it washes out... and ran her thru a hot water car wash and used the engine cleaner spray and then the pressure wash.

came home.. washed innards of hood and vents again with a combo of dish soap, laundry soap and mild purple stuff. did that 2-3 times.

starterd her up to let dry.. then went back to work.

will see if it helps.

i know she is a hair louder without the pad.

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
soundguy said:
on my 99, it was the funny triangle shaped oring that goes under the plastic cap between that and the aluminum housing.........
That's what the ones I usually got looked like. The one that started leaking on mine looked like an o-ring formed with the mold seam not fully closed.
Bought a couple of months ago. The one I got from NAPA yesterday is just a flat rubber ring approx. 1/8" thick by 1/4" inch wide. My truck is a '99 also.
I got the floor, engine, and firewall cleaned, then shut the garage door for a couple of hours with no fuel smell. :cool: Should make my bride happy. ;)
Still got some clothes that got too close to the fuel hanging outside. I need to find a pair of regular coveralls, that zip or snap up the outside of the legs,
like insulated ones do. Looked in the stores around here and don't see them. A pain to have to take a leg off to put on coveralls, :x so I gave all mine to my brother.

G

·
Gonna send ya a package out tomorrow anyhow. Had a few other things sittin here I know you can use. Keep the eyes peeled for Big Brown my friend.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
soundguy said:
thanks.. christmas early.. :)

Chris it is always nice when big brown truck c omes from Ron.
Ive been surprise by it .

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ron's full of niceness. sometimes it overflows.. ;)

me? i'm just full of it.. according to some of my friends. :) :)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
soundguy said:
ron's full of niceness. sometimes it overflows.. ;)

me? i'm just full of it.. according to some of my friends. :) :)
Chris I agree about what you said about Ron.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well ron.. i think that oil eater stuff you sent me has worked.

i need to do a final rinse and hose out of the pad.. but it don't smell like diesel no more when you walk by!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think the oil eater stuf worked ron.. i don't smell any fumescoming from the pad.

i'll do one more wash / rinse and see where it stands.

thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts