Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this fits here.
Some shots of the Globe Meat slicer that I purchased several months ago from a friend at work.

Did I really need one??? NO!!!!

But this is a pretty neat unit. 60 years old and built to last.

Lots of cleaning and lubricating and it was ready to go for this deer season. I sliced some of Nic,s venison kielbasi today and it worked very nice! Great to have the right tool for the job.
This was used to slice venison jerky also.

Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Very cool. I would like to have a slicer, it would be handy!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Nice slicer. It's a 'must have' if you were to cure your own bacon and ham too. I like it...I never thought of slicing deer for jerky with it. Good idea. Thanks Chris.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Great . looks like it is doing a great job.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Watch ya finger nails. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,441 Posts
Very nice and a good excuse to do a lil' more huntin' :!:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim,
I like the idea! I have a taste for some more jerky or kielbasi! May have to get out hunting this weekend.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Globe has been used on three deer this season:
Eric's 9 point, My 8 point, Nics 7 point. Makes some nice thin Jerky from the steaks. Will start dehydrating the 6 lbs of jerky tomorrow night.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Petra,
This old stuff is built so well its amazing. This came out of a school (maybe purchased new around 1950 ish???) and set next to the big Hobart mixer I have also. The friend I bought them from gave me very good price deals. We don't use them a lot. But these will probable be used long after I am gone.

I am looking for a good used #32 head for our antique Hobart meat grinder. It has been worn out in the area of the casting threads. The big screw on nut keeps coming off:( I don't think it can be repaired, being a casting:( Will try ebay.
Regards,
Chris

G

·
Try and hunt down some fab shops that have been around many years. You just might find a guy that has done alot of castings work. Never know. Good luck on the hunt for it.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Petra,
Yes I may take it to my go to fab shop in Edinboro. He may have some Ideas to repair prior to replace.
Off to check the venison cooking!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Petra,
Cant help you there, It really does smell good! Also I did post some pictures, before and after:) in the photo section.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Sugarmaker said:
Petra,
This old stuff is built so well its amazing. This came out of a school (maybe purchased new around 1950 ish???) and set next to the big Hobart mixer I have also. The friend I bought them from gave me very good price deals. We don't use them a lot. But these will probable be used long after I am gone.

I am looking for a good used #32 head for our antique Hobart meat grinder. It has been worn out in the area of the casting threads. The big screw on nut keeps coming off:( I don't think it can be repaired, being a casting:( Will try ebay.
Regards,
Chris
Cris, post a picture or two of the Hobart grinder and also the area that is worn and the #32 head. I've mis-matched a couple different ones together to make a good reliable grinder that we use on 3-4 beef and up to 8 hogs a year. Maybe I can make a suggestion.... maybe not.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3M,
I will try to get some pictures of the Hobart head, and the worn area is the male threads on the T shaped casting. Its a #32 out put plate. ( #22 drive end).
I had about .125 inches milled out of the big nut to see if it would go on farther and grab some more thread engagement. Now I just need to get another deer to try it:). New knock off heads are from $140 to $280 :(
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Sugarmaker said:
3M,
I will try to get some pictures of the Hobart head, and the worn area is the male threads on the T shaped casting. Its a #32 out put plate. ( #22 drive end).
I had about .125 inches milled out of the big nut to see if it would go on farther and grab some more thread engagement. Now I just need to get another deer to try it:). New knock off heads are from $140 to $280 :(
Regards,
Chris
Just for the heck of it, before you spin the big retaining nut over the threads take teflon tape and make 10 real tight wraps around the worn threads, then see if it tightens a tad bit more. There is a relatively new tape on the market called Monster Tape. It is a blue tape and is hands down superior in every way over the standard white teflon... and there is a variation in quality of the white stuff, none coming close to the qualities of Monster Tape.

If ten is too many, try 8 and vice-versa. It will not ball up and fall off into the meat but it should tighten up the worn joint, then allow you to easily spin back off to clean again. Let me know if you try it and if it works for you Chris....and there should be a whole bunch of reindeer in your neighborhood later tonight, I hear they are small but tasty... :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
missouri massey man,
Thanks for the suggestion on the new tape! We had tried some type of tape prior to the rework but it did not help. Sorry I did not get any pictures. We will be hunting whitetails end of this week so the grinder could get a test!
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
269 Posts
My brother used one similar to that for many years. What your finger tips, and don't ask me why.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts