Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I don't have a pic yet but I'm exited and my wife doesn't understand the tractor thing so I had to tell somebody. :lol: I had a craigslist add up saying that I was looking for a "G". The other day a guy called me and said he was also looking for a G but didn't have the cash to buy the one that he just saw an antique equipment show. He was nice enough to get the sellers phone number, roll the flywheel over to make sure it wasn't stuck, and snap a pic with his sell phone. It doesn't run but it looks complete and the tin work looks straight as an arrow. I pick it up on Thursday. Will post pics shortly after.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That is exciting! I cant wait for pics....dontcha just love getting new tractors? :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DerickS said:
That is exciting! I cant wait for pics....dontcha just love getting new tractors? :)
Yep! I always told my wife that the one tractor I hoped to own one day was a G. The one I'm getting is half and half surface rust and original paint, and who knows what I'll find wrong with it once I open it up but hey, I got my G. :D My dad is really excited. He always used to tell me about the big G that my grandpa had when he was little. I can't wait to hear it fire for the first time. Time to start shopping for a straight pipe! :lol:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
:D Excellent score! Congrats

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd sure like to know the story behind the tractor. Other than the tinwork, almost the entire tractor is covered in oily dirt. Even the shutters and grill screens. What type of environment would a tractor work in that would cause it to suck oil mist through the grill and radiator. :? Next time i go out to my dads ranch I'm going to take a pressure washer and go to town on it to see if there is much green paint under all that gunk.

·
Registered
362 Posts
And now the real fun begins! ;) Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got to work on the G today. Inside the pulley it looked like a bag of cornflakes. Rust, rust, and more rust. Got all the parts outand then the engine turned over nice and smooth. It had an even 60 psi in each cylinder cranking from a weak battery. Had fuel getting to the cylinders but no fire from the mag. Points and condenser looked like new but no spark........

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Not sure it applies to tractors, yet is there a way to retard the spark? Some mags had a lever that you operated to retard the spark or enable a tighter spring for starting purposes. It would auto reset on starting. Just a thought.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The mags have a built in retard. At cranking speed the magneto "snaps" right at tdc which sends a pulse just a couple degrees after tdc. It looks like the lack of spark may be the reason the tractor was parked. :lol: it has what appear to be brand new points and condenser, and someone cobbled together a set of plug wires out of a set of yellow Accel automotive wires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts