Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pal Phil has an 8n with a Dearborn loader. He finally mounted it on the tractor, and it works fine except the end cap (or what ever you call it) has a crack. He tried welding it, and it just cracked again adjacent the weld. He cleaned it really well, used JB weld, and it still leaks.

I know you can find these loaders around. What he needs in an end cap or complete ram for it. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I know I should post this in the classies but figured it would get more Ford Fanatics on this board. ;)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i knew jb weld would fail.. but I'm surprised the weld did.

did he take it off to weld it or tried to weld it in place. if you take off to weld and clean out the old oil.. it actually should have worked.

post back

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He most definitley had it off and it was oil free when weleded. When he worked at the boatyard one of the machinists was going to make him one on the lathe during slow time, but he doesn't work there anymore and our guess is a couple hundred to have a local tool and die shop make one.

John (IN) Does that loader have the cylinders"? We are in Georgia and not going that way any time soon, but I'd give fifty bucks for just one good ram shipped here and you could scrap the rest and come out ahead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A thouasand thanks to John (IN) for sending the part, Phil finally was able to swing by my place and pick it up. He is happy to not have hydro oil oozing all over his yard for the first time in years. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
There is a company that makes custom cylinders. They may look at you funny for wanting something that isnt up to todays industry standards.

http://baileynet.com/

·
Registered
530 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. Sometimes better off to get the whole piston that just the end caps,rams cause not all of them were the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts