Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well right or wrong we got a few more things in yesterday. Brandon knows all the particulars but I think around 150 tomatoes and a few pepper plants, three or four rows of beans, couple of rows of squash and zucs and some carrots and beets, last but not least 4 rows of corn. Now we wait and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
This is our very first time in getting out our "summer" vegetables this early... and of course the night after I do this we have a frost advisory. Thankfully we only put out about half of our seed and have saved the rest for that "just in case" event or to plant later. Soil temps have been running in the high 50's to 60 up here the last week or so, so I'm hoping one or two nights in the upper 30's won't cut this short but we will see. We are also trying to stagger our corn this year as well to extend the season some... we will see! We waited for Dad to get up here to set the corn out... you can see Blue being somewhat impatient in the background... :lol:

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
Good deal Brandon, :D hope the cold night didn't do much harm to your plants. Starting at 28 here this morning.
I needed one more day to be dry enough to get more planted Tuesday. 'Course then, it rained all day yesterday. :roll:
Thus is Spring. We'll see what happens the next four days.
That tractor looks like its ready to start planting corn a long way away from where you're transplanting 'maters.
More garden than I could keep clean with a hoe anymore. Hope your first market garden does good for you all.
Most of all have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Well, we've managed to survive one morning of a light frost... I went out about 5:30 this morning and sprayed the plants with some water to hopefully soften the blow if not eliminate the possibility of a light frost - and I guess that it worked.. or maybe it didn't and these are just tough plants. The frost was on just enough that you could feel it whenever you took the grass in your hand, but it was extremely light. I was more concerned for the peppers than the tomatoes but this afternoon all are alive, green, and seemingly well... we are under and advisory for tomorrow morning once again - I'm hoping it will be the last one.
On a lighter note, thank you all for the comments. Dave- I'm sure there have been tougher generations before me that could have managed this and more with just a hoe - and I guess if I got pressed I could give it my best shot... but the tractors sure make it easier (though we still have our fair share of hoeing between the plants.) Mike- usually we don't get our stuff out until around the 10th of May - the only reason that I'm risking this is because of the market.. it has been nerve racking.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Brandon,
The garden looks great! Thanks for posting those nice pictures of your farm.
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Brandon, everything looks great. We are not much further along than yall. I think you have had warmer average temps than us. Our ground top has dried so much, and with our cool temps, the ground is not favorable to germinate seeds. We have to replant green beans. Corn is coming up very slow. No squash or cukes are showing themselves yet. :(

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
We put out 50 more mater plants yesterday at the daughter's home. Also, about 3 dozen pepper plants of various types and egg plant were all stuck out in very wet ground on top of a terrace. The wind will probably work on them pretty good, but 2 more inches of rain and 5-6 more cloudy days are on the way for us.
We had some limited sun yesterday which was the most since last Saturday. Beans, squash, and cukes that were cracking the crust and beginning to pop through are at the same stage as 3 days ago. We have been having fires in the woodstove to stave off the cool and damp in the house. We have about half a stand of our first sweet corn planting. Plants that have been up for a while are yellowing.
We may have temps near 80 degrees by the end of next week. Tobacco growers cannot make up their land and I haven't seen any planted yet.
On the positive side, hayfields and pastures are loving this. :? :? :? :?

·
Registered
395 Posts
first planting of sweet corn is about 2 in high tomatoes have taken and are growing great in black plastic days are 80 plus and nights 50 s lettuce in white on black plastic is growing a in every couple days pulled clear plastic of glads they are coming through and getting tip burn planted a few rows of beans onions from bulbs are 4 in high Spanish transplants and leeks are here to plant a planting of glads each week for 6 more weeks and corn plantings weekly for 7 more weeks squash and pumpkin slicing cucumbers turnip transplants are started rest of tomatoes ready in 3 weeks to plant dahlias and cut flowers to plant in next couple weeks if anyone wants a farm vacation let me know :) :) :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts